turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am 70 and I pulled money out of my IRA. What are the ramifications of clicking "yes" for RMD, even though it wasn't??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I am 70 and I pulled money out of my IRA. What are the ramifications of clicking "yes" for RMD, even though it wasn't??

Did you take the funds before you turned age 70.5?
dmertz
Level 15

With regard to the question asked, it doesn't matter.  Since TurboTax is asking how much was RMD, TurboTax knows that this individual reached age 70½ in 2018.  Any distribution in 2018 is therefore RMD until the RMD is satisfied.  (No mention was made of this being intended as a QCD which would require the individual to actually have reached age 70½).

I was thinking of QCD.
dmertz
Level 15

Essentially none.  TurboTax simply treats the amount that you indicate as RMD as an amount not eligible for rollover.  Since you did not roll any of the distribution over, it doesn't matter how you answer this question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies