Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does my Form 8606 Line 15a have a value when both Line 7 and Line 12 are blank?

This was a backdoor Roth contribution, so the Taxable Amount in Line 15c should be $0. The correct amount is entered into 1040 Line 4b, so this did not influence my tax calculation, but the 8606 appears incorrect.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Why does my Form 8606 Line 15a have a value when both Line 7 and Line 12 are blank?

If there is a * next to line 15, the calculations were done on the "Taxable IRA deduction worksheet" per worksheet 1-1 in IRS Pub 590-A and not on the 8606.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590a#en_US_2019_publink100025076

That worksheet is used when there is a contribution and distribution in the same tax year.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you. It does have the star and references Pub 590-B. The calculation seems incorrect, as my Traditional IRAs finish every year with a $0 balance. It seems strange that this amount does not make it to any lines of income in my 1040, and I have never had this issue in previous years.

The 8606 line 15b should be on the1-4- line 4b.

Sounds like your entries are incorrect.   Your 2020 non-deductible contribution must be on the 8606 line 1, any 2019 or earlier non-deductible contributions on line 2 - the total on line 3.

If your IRA 2020 year end value was zero then  the deduction worksheet line 4 should be zero.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies