turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why are 1099c allowed to be late or never sent to the debtee? Is there no recourse for liability of unknown income?

This year I received one weeks after Jan 31 and three years ago never received one.  I was only notified by the IRS and after I had accrued interest for several months.  Then to boot the cancelling institution tried to collect the debt again some months later.  Are they penalized for things like this occurring if reported.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

Why are 1099c allowed to be late or never sent to the debtee? Is there no recourse for liability of unknown income?

No, there is no penalty for the issuer or the IRS.  They don't send them until they are actually booking the forgiveness on their books, which may be a later time,  after all attempts to recover are exhausted.  If you know you have a debt you are not paying, it is up to you to find out if the company will be issuing a 1099-C to you, unfortunately.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anita01

No, there is no penalty for the issuer or the IRS.  They don't send them until they are actually booking the forgiveness on their books, which may be a later time,  after all attempts to recover are exhausted.  If you know you have a debt you are not paying, it is up to you to find out if the company will be issuing a 1099-C to you, unfortunately.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies