turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If it says that I got a $3000 renter’s deduction on my state taxes, what does that actually mean?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If it says that I got a $3000 renter’s deduction on my state taxes, what does that actually mean?

Which state? $3000 sounds high.

Likely Indiana ... but I didn't want to assume

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.in.gov/dor/5863.htm#renters">http://www.in.gov/dor/5863.htm#renters</a>

It means you will receive a $3,000 deduction from your state income when computing your tax liability.  Here's an example of how this could impact your state taxes.  You have $50,000 in income before the deduction and say your state has a 5% tax rate.  Instead of paying taxes on that full $50,000, you get to subtract $3,000 before the 5% tax rate is applied.  So, your tax due will be $2,350 ($47,000 * 5%) instead of $2,500 ($50,000 *5%).  So, the deduction saved you $150 in tax due.  

What it does not mean is that you will get a full $3,000 refund to you.   Your actual savings will only be a small portion of the deduction.  And, its possible you may not see any impact if you already have other deductions or credits that have reduced your tax due to zero.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies