Solved: Where to enter state taxes paid on my 401K

Where to enter state taxes paid on my 401K

When you enter the 1099R in TurboTax, there is a section for State taxes withheld (Box 12) and the Federal taxes withheld are in box 4.  

When the 1099R is entered you will get credit for both of these taxes withheld ( if there were on the 1099R).

This amount is then transferred to the State return.  Your state return is actually approx 80% completed when the Federal Return is completed as much of the information transfers directly to the State return.

If you are unsure if this was entered in the Federal Section go back and edit the 1099R entry and look at box 12 of the 1099R entry.

To go to this area.

Go to Federal Taxes

Wages and Income

Post a comment if you still have questions, thank you

scroll down to Retirement income and go to IRA, 1099R section and update.

Are you asking about the 1099R and having state taxes withheld on a distribution?

yes thank you

To go to this area.

Go to Federal Taxes

Wages and Income