turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where to enter state taxes paid on my 401K

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When you enter the 1099R in TurboTax, there is a section for State taxes withheld (Box 12) and the Federal taxes withheld are in box 4.  

When the 1099R is entered you will get credit for both of these taxes withheld ( if there were on the 1099R).

This amount is then transferred to the State return.  Your state return is actually approx 80% completed when the Federal Return is completed as much of the information transfers directly to the State return.

If you are unsure if this was entered in the Federal Section go back and edit the 1099R entry and look at box 12 of the 1099R entry.

To go to this area.

Go to Federal Taxes

Wages and Income

Post a comment if you still have questions, thank you

scroll down to Retirement income and go to IRA, 1099R section and update.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Are you asking about the 1099R and having state taxes withheld on a distribution?

yes thank you

When you enter the 1099R in TurboTax, there is a section for State taxes withheld (Box 12) and the Federal taxes withheld are in box 4.  

When the 1099R is entered you will get credit for both of these taxes withheld ( if there were on the 1099R).

This amount is then transferred to the State return.  Your state return is actually approx 80% completed when the Federal Return is completed as much of the information transfers directly to the State return.

If you are unsure if this was entered in the Federal Section go back and edit the 1099R entry and look at box 12 of the 1099R entry.

To go to this area.

Go to Federal Taxes

Wages and Income

Post a comment if you still have questions, thank you

scroll down to Retirement income and go to IRA, 1099R section and update.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies