turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Where do I enter my 1099-G form on Turbotax?

West Virginia

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Take a closer look at your form to determine if it is reporting the amount of your 2019 state tax refund, unemployment compensation, or something else.

If you received a state tax refund in 2020 for the 2019 tax year and you itemized deductions on your 2019 Federal return, then your state tax refund may be taxable.  You would need to enter the 2019 state refund amount into your 2020 Federal return.

State refunds are usually reported to you on Form 1099-G in Box 2.  Here is how you enter this information into your 2020 return:

1. With your return open in TurboTax, search for 1099–G (don't forget the dash!) and then select the Jump to link at the top of your search results.
  2. This will take you to Did you have any of these types of income? Answer Yes.
  3. On the following screen, check the first box State or local income tax refunds and continue.
  4. Answer Yes to Did you get a state or local tax refund?

If your 1099-G is reporting unemployment, then use these steps to enter it into your return:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “unemployment” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to unemployment
  • Click on the blue “Jump to unemployment” link to get started

Here are some helpful tips to consider when entering your information reporting unemployment:  

•  If you had state taxes withheld from your unemployment, but there is not a state ID number on your form, then use the Federal ID number in box 10b.
  • If you did not have any state taxes withheld, then leave all the boxes blank (boxes 10a, 10b, and 11).  This includes the dropdown box for the state name.
  • If anything is entered in box 10a, 10b, or 11, then all of them must be filled in to avoid an error condition causing you to review the entry.  

@mullensa503

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How to add 1099 g to a already filed federal return and approved 

@Jointtaxes777

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.

If you left out a W-2, a 1099G, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is “pending.”  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return. 

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and e-file or mail  it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X.

Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
SamS1
Expert Alumni

The easiest way is through the Search function.   After you have logged in and are in your return in TurboTax Online:

• Go to Search at the top of the screen.
  • then enter Form 1099G in the search box. 
  • You will see a Jump To function that will take you to the 1099G input screens. 
  • Note you can jump to the unemployment screens or the state refund screens, depending on the type.

Hello,

I received the 1099-G for state or local income tax refunds, credits or offsets and when I try to fill out the space for the 1099-G on TurboTax I do not see the option for state return. I saw taxable grant, Agricultural payment program, market gain, re-employment trade and business or farm tax refund but nothing on state or local tax refund. what should I do or which option should I pick. Thank you

@johnekeuwei wrote:

Hello,

I received the 1099-G for state or local income tax refunds, credits or offsets and when I try to fill out the space for the 1099-G on TurboTax I do not see the option for state return. I saw taxable grant, Agricultural payment program, market gain, re-employment trade and business or farm tax refund but nothing on state or local tax refund. what should I do or which option should I pick. Thank you

To enter a state or local tax refund (Form 1099-G) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to 1099-MISC and Other Common Income
  • On State and Local Tax Refunds on Form 1099-G, click the start or update button

Or enter state refunds in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to state refunds

Thank you again for your help and response. And just to be clear this is for if you only have a 1099G form right? This is all I have to file and absolutely nothing else as I’ve been out of work and only collecting unemployment for the past year. 

Yes, if unemployment is your only income, you still need to file your tax return. You might be able to use the free edition to do that.

Svisciani

Unemployment 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Here is how you can enter the 1099-g into your return.

• Go to Wages & Income
  • Select Unemployment and family leave (1099G)
  • Answer Yes or No to Did you have to repay.
  • Follow steps to enter your information.

If you have not yet filed your return. you should not be trying to make any direct adjustments to TurboTax.  The $10,200 adjustment to unemployment is handled directly buy TurboTax on Schedule 1 line 8.

It is then reflected in the posting of Schedule 1 to line 8 of your tax return 1040.

The 1099-g does not come from your employer.  A 1099-g could be for:

• unemployment compensation
  • paid family leave
  • state or local income tax refunds you received that year
  • or something from a government agency.
  • They are also used for
    • Agricultural program payments
    • Taxable grants
    • Reemployment trade adjustment assistance (RTAA) payment
    • Market gain on CCC loans
    • Business or farm tax refund

What is a 1099-G Tax Form?

What do I put in box 1 ?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Box 1 - the unemployment compensation? Put in whatever is printed on your 1099-G. Trying to fix the number yourself will likely get your return rejected or a letter from the IRS...

Jackie81

Unemployment

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

To enter all of this information for your return, please follow these steps in TurboTax:

1. Open your return.
  2. Select Federal from the left menu.
  3. Go to Wages and Income then Income and Expenses
  4. Scroll down to Unemployment
  5. On the Did you receive unemployment or paid family leave benefits in 2020? screen, answer Yes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies