Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Linda883

Where can I find worksheet to calculate taxable amount of social security benefits?

Would like to calculate taxable amount for 2022. Searching for way to enter total SS benefits + total other income (1099 & RMD) for 2022 & have taxable amount of SS benefits automatically calculated.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Where can I find worksheet to calculate taxable amount of social security benefits?

The IRS will not have Social Security worksheets available for tax year 2022 to calculate the amount of benefits that are taxable until late in 2022.

You can use the worksheets in IRS Publication 915 for tax year 2021 to get a good estimate based on the 2022 benefits and income you expect to receive in 2022 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p915.pdf

You can also use the TurboTax calculator TaxCaster to estimate your taxes owed or your tax refund.  The calculator uses tax year 2021 rules but will be very close to 2022 - https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The calculation of taxable Social Security benefits hasn't changed in years. It's not likely to change for 2022. Any calculation you do using the 2021 rules will be very close, if not exact, for 2022. You didn't say what kind of 1099 income you have. Any possible variation in your 1099 income will make more of a difference than any changes in the Social Security Benefits Worksheet.

Also note that the maximum taxable amount is 85% of your Social Security benefits. If your other income is high enough that you hit the 85% maximum, it's going to stay at 85%. You don't need a worksheet to figure that out.

Don't play around with your 2021 tax return in TurboTax Online. Do the calculation manually with the IRS worksheet, or use the calculator that DoninGA suggested.

the best way to estimate 2022 tax is to use the desktop software on your computer.

start a new tax file and call it "TRIAL 2022 Tax return"

It will be approximate, but close enough and you can adjust as needed if you are tax-savvy.

Also you will have a head start on your next year's taxes.

@Linda883 

@Linda883 -  if you use 2021 Turbo Tax (desktop) as a tool to estimate 2022 taxes, be mindful of a few things, and I assume no legislative tax changes for the rest of the year.

1) be sure Line 30 is zero - there is no stimulus in 2022

2) if you have children, be careful of the child tax credit.  it'll be $2000 for most in 2022 - not $3000 - $3600. (in effect goes back to pre-2021 rules)

3) if you have dependent care tax credits, those will be very different in 2022.  they will be non-refundable and not refundable tax credits.  The maximum credit will be smaller and the amount of eligible expenses will be less (in effect returns to pre-2021 rules)

4) if you take the standard deduction, there is no $300 cash contribution per taxpayer

5) there are a few other things that relate to EITC as well but mainly affect those under 25 and over 65.

If you used Desktop to complete your 2021 tax return, there is a 'what if' report under Forms View; the 2022 column already assumes the rules above changed from 2021 to 2022, so that is your best bet.  It still uses the 2021 tax tables, but that will make your estimate conservative, as the tax tables were adjusted for inflation so the estimated tax is overstated. 

Can you answer this question?

@purgerstr46 wrote:

Can you answer this question?

There is a Social Security Benefits Worksheet in the PDF download when you use Print Center and the option for all worksheets.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2022 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  Choose the option Include government and TurboTax worksheets

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies