Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PapaLima62
Returning Member

What was the youngest age you could have retired and received a pension from your last employer if you hadn't become disabled?

I was an Air Traffic Controller and retired on disability this year at age 59.  The mandatory retirement age for air traffic controllers is normally 56, but I had an age waiver allowing me to work until I completed 20 years of DoD service.  With the age waiver, I would have retired in June 2023 at age 60 years and 11 months.  What should I enter for my 1099-R question?  56, 60 or 61?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

What was the youngest age you could have retired and received a pension from your last employer if you hadn't become disabled?

If you could have retired at 56 and received your pension then 56 would be the answer. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
PapaLima62
Returning Member

I wasn't normal.  I was hired at age 40, with an age waiver allowing me to work exactly 20 years to age 60.  At age 56 I had only completed 16 years and did not qualify for a retirement, hence the age waiver.  So I guess my answer would be 60 or 61, depending on if I round up a month.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you would not be eligible for retirement benefits until age 60 then you would enter 60. You should be able to enter 60 years 11 months.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies