Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TandTsmom

What form do I need to show that the employer paid half of our social security taxes? It is not indicated on our W-2.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

What form do I need to show that the employer paid half of our social security taxes? It is not indicated on our W-2.

Nothing in box 4 of your W-2?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
TandTsmom

No.  Is this a mistake on the employer?

You need to ask the employer.  Are you sure you have a W-2 and not a 1099Misc?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
TandTsmom

I have a W-2. My husband is clergy.  His employer pays half of his social security and we pay the other half.  We do not have documentation to show that the half has been paid by his employer so when I am entering it in to Turbox Tax, it looks that nothing has been paid.

Churches generally don't pay social security for clergy.  Clergy are self-employed for social security tax purposes.  In turbotax, check the box for "religious wages" under special circumstances and you will be prompted for information about your housing allowance or the fair value of your parsonage, and you will pay self-employment tax (15.3%) on both wages and the value of your housing.  (Housing is excluded from income tax, though.)

If the church did pay employment taxes on form 941 or form 944, they must be added to the W-2, and in that case you can't easily use turbotax unless you are prepared to use the program installed on your own computer and make some overrides.  You might be better off with a tax professional who understands clergy wages.

It sounds like you really need to read this http://www.ecfa.org/PDF/2016-Preparing-Tax-Returns-For-Clergy.pdf

Churches will often "gross up" the pastor's wages to account for the self employment tax.  For example, if the goal is to pay the equivalent of a lay wage of $30,000, then for a lay person, the church pays a gross salary of $30,000 plus the church pays $2295 in employment tax, an additional $2295 is deducted from the employee's wage, and the employee nets $27705 before income tax.  To gross up a clergy person's wage, the church would pay $32,295, so that after paying the 15.3% SE tax, the clergy person ends up with the same $27,705 as a lay person making the same salary.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies