Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We withdrew money out of my husbands 401k in 2020 due to financial hardship from me losing my job. My job loss was due to Covid. I was under the assumption with the Cares Act, we would not be penalize

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
SamS1
Expert Alumni

We withdrew money out of my husbands 401k in 2020 due to financial hardship from me losing my job. My job loss was due to Covid. I was under the assumption with the Cares Act, we would not be penalize

You are correct.  The form 8915-E will deal with the Cares Act retirement distribution exclusions and has not been released by the IRS.  We do not anticipate this form being completed and released until mid-February.  After you enter your retirement plan distribution in the 1099R screen then continue, you will see a screen for "Uncommon Situations".  The first box relates to natural disasters, including Covis-19.  Once that box is active, you will be able to enter your 2020 pandemic retirement distribution information.

Here are the rules regarding exclusion for early retirement distributions under the Cares Act:

• You are diagnosed with the SARS-Cov2.
  • You are a spouse or a dependent of a person diagnosed with the virus.
  • You experienced financial hardship related to the virus.
  • Test must be done with an approved Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

You would appear to qualify under the 3rd bullet point.

Click here for more information on how the Pandemic has affected your taxes.

Thank you so much for the clarification! I will wait and watch for the form before I file! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies