Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

reesak09

Why am I being asked about the financial situation of an individual I haven't been married to for several years? Is this affecting my refund and will I be penalized?

Every questions is "do you or X". There is absolutely no reason why I would have his information or why it should effect me.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PattiF
Expert Alumni

Why am I being asked about the financial situation of an individual I haven't been married to for several years? Is this affecting my refund and will I be penalized?

It’s very difficult to remove all information related to a former spouse from your return. Your best option is to start over by creating a new TurboTax account, and working through the program to enter your return in your name only.

You can create a new account here. You can use the same email and create a new User ID and password. After creating a new account using your same email address and starting to work on your return, you might get a popup window suggesting that you use your original account. Bypass this message and continue with your return in the new account.

If you’re using the TurboTax CD/Download, skip the step of pulling in the information from last year’s return, if that return had your spouse on it. Here’s what to do:

1. Select File in the upper left, and then New Tax Return.
  2. Skip any option to transfer last year’s return and select Continue Without Transferring.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies