turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

estaci

We have a 1099-R distribution, and TurboTax is asking if it was for a qualified disaster. It's not, so I selected "No," but now it's asking what kind of disaster it was?

TurboTax asks "Was this a Qualified Disaster Distribution?" I selected "No, this was not a Qualified Disaster Distribution." When I click Continue, it asks "Is this a qualified distribution for the purchase or construction of a main home in certain disaster areas?" and I selected "No, this is not a qualified distribution." When I select Continue, it says "What type of disaster affected Clint in 2017?" and then underneath that "For the Qualified 2017 Disaster Distribution Clint reported, we need to know what type of disaster you were affected by." Then it is telling me to select hurricanes, wildfires, etc. I feel like this must be a glitch, but how can I get it fixed? I've gone back many times and confirmed what options I selected, and I selected exactly what I said above. I don't see a way to report this. The only option to talk to TurboTax customer support appears to cost $80, which I'm not going to pay when it appears to be a technical issue on their end. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

We have a 1099-R distribution, and TurboTax is asking if it was for a qualified disaster. It's not, so I selected "No," but now it's asking what kind of disaster it was?

TurboTax is aware of this issue and is currently working on a solution.

As a workaround, you can answer "no" to the question "Was this a Qualified Disaster Distribution?"  and when asked "What type of disaster affected you in 2017?" leave the selection blank and hit continue.  This will not affect any calculations and you will be able to E-file. 

Please check out the TurboTax FAQ below for more details and to sign up if you would like to receive updates on this issue:  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7253580

View solution in original post

57 Replies
wdaley

I am also having this issue, and hesitate to file a return with the IRS that says "I had a disaster loss" when I didn't!
tina_m60

I am experiencing the same issue??  Not sure how receiving a 1099R has anything to do with a disaster??

I am having the same issue also.  Can you let us know when this will be fixed.

I am having this issue also.  And it only appeared when I went back to do a review.  It didn't happen on first time through.  I can't get past the issue now.  What gives?
SA1128
Returning Member

I'm having this problem too.  You need to fix this glitch ASAP!!!
fg10950

I am having the same issue,  not sure what support they are providing since all commercials say they have live people available,  this is the only thread I can find and NO SOLUTION YET.   This needs to be corrected or a work around needs to be provided ASAP.  
GKINAZ

I have the same issue,
e133227sn

Same issue
jlmccarty

I'm having the same issue. I thought I was going crazy, because I've checked entry several times. I'm also looking for a way to report this so it can get fixed.
klsajslll

Does their suggested solution work for anyone?  It seems like it just puts me in a loop asking about 2016 disasters
outlaw46

Same issue, except an additional problem.  Mine is a Roth distribution and should not be taxed.  So, if I use the work-around, I will pay taxes twice (when the money was earned and when it was withdrawn).

Same issue

Same issue.  Followed suggested advice of answering "NO" to question of Was this a Qualified Disaster.  And left type of disaster.  HOWEVER:  Tax Return generates a 8915B which cannot be deleted and does NOT allow me to efile.  I am so freakin frustrated and finding no answers except that this is a glitch and it is being worked on.  Come on...it's March 6th.  It's not like this is a recently discovered problem.

I ran smack into this problem last night. I answered "No" and ended up in a 2017 Hurricane Disaster relief turmoil. I have sought out sanctuary by deleting TurboTax and deciding to file hard copy. Good luck to you all.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies