Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AMO1090

How do I reduce taxable income amount on Fulbright Grant?

I am reporting my Fulbright grant as wages in the Less Common> Miscellaneous Income section. I had read about deducting costs of airfare, lodging, and other business-related expenses via the Tax Home concept. When I enter these expenses in the employment expenses section, it does not seem to affect my taxable income. I am not sure if I entered this in the wrong section or if I misunderstood the concept.

Here is where I read about the tax home: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/fulbright-grants

"When a Fulbright grant is considered as wages, then several possibilities may be available to reduce your U.S. federal income tax on these wages. For example:

1. If your tax home is in the United States, and you are temporarily in a foreign country away from your tax home in the USA for less than 1 year, then you may be able to deduct your airfare, local transportation, lodging, and food expense as itemized deductions reported on Form 2106, Employee Business Expenses (or Form 2106-EZ) and Schedule A of Form 1040.  See Chapter 26 of Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax, for an explanation of the Tax Home concept and Away-From-Home expenses.  See also Publication 463, Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses."
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Cindy0H

How do I reduce taxable income amount on Fulbright Grant?

Unfortunately, unreimbursed employee expenses have been eliminated this year. The information you site is not current with this year's new tax laws. You did enter the grant correctly. It will be taxed as wages on line 21 of the Schedule 1 which will flow to line 6 of the 1040.

More on this topic:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300622

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies