turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax said I overpaid Social Security Taxes. How do I get this back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies

It depends on the type of social security overpayment.  There are two types of social security overpayments, so I will address both - but if TurboTax is allowing you to proceed without correcting your W2, then it is probably the first option.  

1.  If your social security overpayment is because of multiple employers, then when you enter your W2s, the program will warn of the overpayment and will add into your federal tax return automatically.  It will show as Line 71 as a payment and be calculated into Line 75 (your refund) or Line 78 (amount you owe).  Again, this calculation would be done automatically after you entered your W2, so the amount of the overpayment should already be reflected in your amount due (or refund) just like regular W2 withholding.

If you haven't filed yet, then you can use the steps below to Preview your 1040 and view Line 71

• Click Take Me to My Return
  • Select My Account (top right of blue banner)
  • Select Tools
  • Select View My Tax Summary
  • Here you will see a Tax Summary of your return so far
  • In the grey banner, click Preview my 1040

However, make sure you are truly entitled to this overpayment.  A lot of mistakes happen with this topic and they often result in IRS letters.  If you are married filing joint, make sure that you have assigned your W2s to each spouse correctly.  The mistake that happens is users enter both W2s under the same name, instead of each spouse.  This results in the program calculating an overpayment when none is truly due.

2.  If your overpayment is from a single employer, then it will not be automatically added to your return.  You will have to contact your employer to receive a refund and get a corrected W2.  If your employer won't cooperate, then you will have to fill out Form 843 to received a refund of the taxes and you will need to make an adjustment to your W2 to reflect what the correct number should have been.  In this situation, TurboTax will warn you that your W2 is incorrect and will not allow you to proceed with the incorrect number - you either have to manually calculate the correct number or get a new W2 to proceed.

You can view more information about social security overpayments at the link below (including more information about if your overpayment is caused by a single employer and how to correct that) -

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899484-can-i-get-a-refund-for-excess-social-security-tax-withheld  

kunjian

I am using premier online version for tax return 2019. The overpaid fica tax was not added to my 1040. Is there any button I need to check?

do you have a spouse and you accidentally clicked that the W-2 was your's and not the spouses?  this is common errors people make.

overpaying FICA could occur if you had more than one employer and your Box 3 wages on your W-2s sum to more than $132,900

if your wages are below $132,900, something else is incorrect. 

if you truly overpaid FICA, it will be calculated into your refund.  Nothing for you to do. 

Why or how did you overpay fica?  Give details.  Oh, do both your employers use the same payroll service?  There might be a problem with that.

If you had more than one employer and  the total of box 4 (only box 4 not box 6) on all your 2019 W2s  for Social Security is more than $8,239.80 you get the excess back on your tax return.  And it is for each spouse separately, not combined.  Check 1040 Schedule 3 line 11 for it.  Then Schedule 3 goes to 1040 line 18d.

kunjian

No, I am single. I have two employers and both of them withheld FICA tax so I am sure I over paid.

kunjian

Thank you! I do not think my employers use the same payroll service. I will check my 1040.

So the EIN number in box b is different on them?

How much is on each W2 for boxes 3 & 4?

sarahmac

We are having this exact same problem, but with social security taxes from two different employers. Turbo Tax recognized that we overpaid, and said that the amount would be deducted from what we owe, but it hasn't done it. I have read to go find the actual form, but on TT, I cannot find a way to access the version where I can see the actual tax return preview. 

It was probably already deducted before you noticed.  If you had more than one employer and  the total of box 4 (only box 4 not box 6) on all your 2019 W2s  for Social Security is more than $8,239.80 you get the excess back on your tax return.  And it is for each spouse separately, not combined.  Check 1040 Schedule 3 line 11 for it.  Then Schedule 3 goes to 1040 line 18d.

Before filing,  You can preview the 1040 or print the whole return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

pisicuta77
Returning Member

if turbo tax accounts for social security overpayment automatically then why is turbotax software telling me to get corrected w-2 before filing?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

If you had only one employer, then you would have to get the excess social security tax withholding back from your employer.  The employer reports and payments are based on math and not actual withholding so it's impossible for your employer to pay more to the IRS than is required. In this situation you must go back to the employer to receive a refund and a corrected W-2. For filing purposes, You can enter the correct amount of social security tax and proceed to to file now. It's important to follow up with your employer.

If you do have two different employers, then the employers do not have access to the information about each other in reference to your income. For this reason they would not pay too much FICA on your wages.  In this case, any excess because you have earned more than $142,800 in wages when combined, the IRS will refund any excess social security tax because each employer would have paid it all to them.

On your tax return the excess will show up on line 11, of Schedule 3, Form 1040.  You can view your 1040 form before you e-file:

1. Open or continue your return. (TurboTax Online)
  2. With the Tax Tools menu open, you can then:
    • View only your 1040 form: Select Tools. Next, select View Tax Summary in the pop-up, then Preview my 1040 in the left menu.
  3. TurboTax CD/Desktop - Select Forms (upper right) > Scroll to Schedule 3 (left) > View line 11

@pisicuta77

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pisicuta77
Returning Member

i just looked at the preview of my 1040 and the amount does not show up on schedule 3, line 11. how do i correct this?

Sounds like just one of your W2s is wrong.   Check boxes 3 & 4.  How much is in each box?  Box 4 should be Box 3 x .062 up to a max of 8,853.60.   If box 4 is more than that you need to get a corrected W2 from your employer.  Try leaving the cents off box 4.  But also go back and double check your W2 entries, you may have entered box 3 & 4 wrong.  A lot of people who have asked this found they did enter an amount wrong.

Or check W2 box 12.  You may have entered Code A by mistake.

For 2021 the max for Social Security is $8,853.60 on $142,800 of wages (142,800 x 6.2%).

You only get excess SS back if one person had more than 1 employer and those employers took out more than the max of  $8,853.60 (for 2021).  If one employer took out more than the max you have to get it back from the employer.

Check 1040 Schedule 3 line 11 which goes to 1040 line 31.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If one employer withheld too much Social Security tax, you won't be able to take a credit for the excess on your tax return. You will only see a refund on Schedule 3, Line 11 if multiple employers withheld excess social security.

Since your employer withheld too much, contact them and ask for:

1. A refund for the excess amount, and
  2. A corrected W-2 (also called a W-2c) which shows the correct Box 3 and Box 4 amounts.

Do not file with excess withholdings on your return, as you may be subjected to penalties and interest.

Can I get a refund for excess Social Security tax withheld?

@pisicuta77

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies