turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

mtbmikej

TurboTax said I overpaid Social Security Taxes. How do I get this back?

Hello.  The answers here seem to be contradictory.  I am having the same problem as the OP.  

My wife had 2 employers in 2021 and got 2 different W2s (one from each).  The amounts from box 4 are 8387.89 and 2038.47.  TT warns me of the overage that has been paid, but Schedule 3 Line 11 is empty.  How do I get TT to enter this overpayment?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Did you go all the way through the Review? Is that where TurboTax told you that there was excess SS tax withheld?

The answers above are not contradictory - what TurboTax does is dependent on whether there was one employer or more than one - see the Instructions for line 11 in the 1040 instructions on page 103.

I don't know where TurboTax does this processing - it has to be some place after the W-2s are entered.

@mtbmikej

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did it say to get a refund from the employer?  Make sure each W2 is entered under her name.  Try deleting them and re enter.  That may clear something out.  

For 2021 the max for Social Security is $8,853.60 on $142,800 of wages.  And make sure box 4 is not more than 6.2% of box 3.  

mtbmikej

@BillM223 Thanks for the link to the IRS document, this helps explain how it should work. 

@VolvoGirl Thanks for the suggestion.  Deleting all of the W2s and re-entering them resolved the issue.

This seems a very old post.  I have 2x employers in 2023, I have maxed $160,200.00 limit with the first employer, but the 2nd one still deduced 1700 social security holding in year 2023.   Latest turbo tax SW does not check social security overpayment.   

It seems you need to fill out IRS Form 843: Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement according to the Form 843 Instructions and mail it in separately. Make a copy to keep with your tax return paperwork.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f843.pdf

@nick2000cn  Turbo Tax should give you the excess Social Security on your return.  Nobody has complained it hasn't.  Be sure both W2s are entered under your name and not one for your spouse if married.  Try deleting the W2s and re enter them.  That may clear something out.  

You get excess SS back if you had more than 1 employer and those employers took out more than the max for Social Security tax in W2 box 4.  For 2023 the max for Social Security is $9,932.40 on $160,200 of wages (160,200 x 6.2%).  And it is for each spouse separately if married.  Check 1040 Schedule 3 line 11 which goes to 1040 line 31.

Be sure you entered box 3 & 4 right.  Or post back with the amounts in boxes 3&4.  Are you on Windows or Mac?  Try updating the program and for Windows you might need to update Windows.  

Wow,  can not believe got such a light speed response !   Yes,  I have two employers in 2023, with employer A, box 3 $160,200.00, Box 4 $9,932.40;  and with employer J,  box 3 $27,555.68, box 4 $1,708.45.  

my federal refund shows 1211, and I did not see any where for extra social security holding info.  Upon searching internet, it says you have to submit IRS form 843.  Nor I see anywhere within turbotax I can add that form. 

I really appreciate everyone's attention and reply to my post,  

You don't need to fill out that form.  It should automatically be on your tax return.  Check 1040 Schedule 3 line 11 which goes to 1040 line 31.  It is probably reducing a tax due and turning it into a refund.

Is there a way I can view 1040 schedule 3 line 11 before I file the return ?   I did not see a way to view it under turbotax.   or I have to click file first ? 

"you don't need to fill out that form. It should automatically be on your tax return. Check 1040 Schedule 3 line 11 which goes to 1040 line 31. It is probably reducing a tax due and turning it into a refund." 

Are you using the Online version or the Desktop program?

For Online, Before filing,  You can preview the 1040 or print the whole return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

I am using online turbo version.  Just tried the way you mentioned, it does not show 1040 form unless you make the payment.  I guess turbo tax makes sure get paid first.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

There is a way you can view this without paying to look at the actual forms.

1.  log into Turbo Tax
  2. Go to the left navigational pane of your return and select Preview my 1040
  3. Once the 1040 appears, scroll down to Schedule 3 line 11 to see if it is listed.

@nick2000cn 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies