Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I would like to add a note to the IRS about an item in my return, can I do this with TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

I would like to add a note to the IRS about an item in my return, can I do this with TurboTax?

TurboTax does not support attaching non-standard forms to the return. 

There is no need to attach additional statements or receipts not required by the IRS, principally because they won't be read. As a general rule, don't send anything with a return that isn't required to be sent.

• the people in the section that input returns do just that - they don't have the time to read anything that is attached, and they have nothing to do with it if they do.
  • one of the primary methods of selecting returns is by computer. Whatever you send with the return isn’t input into the computer. Consequently, in most cases it won't increase or decrease your chances of the return being selected.
  • once selected for audit, many returns are audited based on computer prints of the return. The original return is left in the Federal Records Center, so what you attached isn't seen by the auditor.
  • you probably have a better chance of finding your receipts or statements than the IRS does. They don't pull returns and sometimes when they do they can't find them.

If you choose to add an attachment of some sort you must print the return and file on paper.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

TurboTax does not support attaching non-standard forms to the return. 

There is no need to attach additional statements or receipts not required by the IRS, principally because they won't be read. As a general rule, don't send anything with a return that isn't required to be sent.

• the people in the section that input returns do just that - they don't have the time to read anything that is attached, and they have nothing to do with it if they do.
  • one of the primary methods of selecting returns is by computer. Whatever you send with the return isn’t input into the computer. Consequently, in most cases it won't increase or decrease your chances of the return being selected.
  • once selected for audit, many returns are audited based on computer prints of the return. The original return is left in the Federal Records Center, so what you attached isn't seen by the auditor.
  • you probably have a better chance of finding your receipts or statements than the IRS does. They don't pull returns and sometimes when they do they can't find them.

If you choose to add an attachment of some sort you must print the return and file on paper.

Thanks. That answers my question.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies