turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dlraile

What percentage of tax should I have withheld from each rollover IRA distribution check after age 66 and from each social security check as well?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

What percentage of tax should I have withheld from each rollover IRA distribution check after age 66 and from each social security check as well?

dlraile

This answer implies that tax withholding on IRA Distributions after age 66 and tax withheld on Social Security Income are taxed the same as a pay check when one is still working. I need more of an answer to my initial question. Do I need to restate that question or is it visible to whomever answers questions?

Yes they are taxed the same.  They are taxed as ordinary income.

But only Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:
Married Filing Jointly: $32,000
Single or head of household: $25,000
Married Filing Separately: 0
dlraile

Thanks for your input VolvoGirl, I did see that information on the FAQ's. I am still looking for something more specific. I need to know what to have held out from each check both IRA and Social Secuity. "Up to 85%" is not specific enough for what I am asking. Is there a tax withholding chart of sorts?

It's complicated, because the tax on Soc Sec benefits depends upon your total other (Joint) income. For example, see this:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://taxmap.irs.gov/taxmap/pubs/p915-005.htm#en_us_publink1000263043">https://taxmap.irs.gov/taxm...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies