Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I request a corrected 1099-R with a code M1. I quit my job but I paid off the loan. What should I do about the penalty?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Should I request a corrected 1099-R with a code M1. I quit my job but I paid off the loan. What should I do about the penalty?

The code M1 indicates that your loan was paid off with an offset distribution from the retirement plan, effectively a distribution from the plan paid to you that was immediately turned around to pay off the loan.  As such, the distribution is subject to tax and to an early-distribution penalty unless an amount equal to the offset distribution is rolled over to another qualified retirement account like an IRA.

The code M indicates that you have until the due date of your 2018 tax return, including extensions, to come up with the money to roll the offset distribution over to another qualified retirement account.  Doing so will allow you to continue to defer taxes on this money and to avoid the 10% early-distribution penalty.  Any amount not rolled over is taxable income on Form 1040 line 4b and is subject to an early-distribution penalty reported on Schedule 4 line 59.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

The code M1 indicates that your loan was paid off with an offset distribution from the retirement plan, effectively a distribution from the plan paid to you that was immediately turned around to pay off the loan.  As such, the distribution is subject to tax and to an early-distribution penalty unless an amount equal to the offset distribution is rolled over to another qualified retirement account like an IRA.

The code M indicates that you have until the due date of your 2018 tax return, including extensions, to come up with the money to roll the offset distribution over to another qualified retirement account.  Doing so will allow you to continue to defer taxes on this money and to avoid the 10% early-distribution penalty.  Any amount not rolled over is taxable income on Form 1040 line 4b and is subject to an early-distribution penalty reported on Schedule 4 line 59.

Hi, just looking for some additional information here.  Would I be able to re-file my 2018 taxes and pay this balance to a qualified account in 2020, and then be able to cancel the penalty I owe?  Or am I too late?

Thanks!

dmertz
Level 15

It too late to roll over a 2018 offset distribution.  The deadline for rolling over a 2018 offset distribution was October 15, 2019.

Thank you for the fast reply!  So do I have any options besides paying the tax penalty?

dmertz
Level 15

There is no avoiding the penalty unless you have an exception that applies to distributions from qualified retirement plans:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-tax-on-early-distri...

The penalty should have already been included on your 2018 tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies