turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

3carters

What is basis as of 12/31/prior year if new traditional IRA was set up and funded with non-deductible contributions (back-door Roth) in the following year?

Had not had a traditional IRA until establishing one in early 2016 to fund as a 2015 IRA that would be converted to Roth upon funds arriving into account.  MAGI too high to qualify for deductible IRA or direct Roth contributions in 2015 and subsequent years.

Received 1099-Rs for 2016 for those funds and 2016 contributions.  Did not file an 8606 in 2015 (mistake on my part?) but did in 2016 and reported basis that did not include funds from 2015 because the TTax question, "...basis as of 12/31/2015" was $0 since funds weren't entered until early 2016 (mistake?)  Should that basis be changed on 2015 taxes to reflect contribution amount?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
jtax
Level 10

What is basis as of 12/31/prior year if new traditional IRA was set up and funded with non-deductible contributions (back-door Roth) in the following year?

Just want to be sure I understand.
in early 2016 you opened a traditional IRA and funded it with after-tax dollars
in early 2016 you converted that traditional IRA to a Roth IRA
in early 2017 you received a 2016 1099-R for the conversion amount, which you reported including a 8606 in 2016 [edited]

If so,

You need to include a 8606 for any year you make non-deductible traditional IRA contributions (to track your basis in Part I) or Roth conversions (Part II). If neither of those things happened in 2015 (or some other conditions (see below) that don't seem to apply), then you didn't need to file a 2015 8606.

The 2016 8606 should show the non-deductible trad ira contributions and should calculate the taxable amount of the conversion by factoring in those amounts.

If you used up all your traditional IRA basis in the conversion you probably won't have to fine an 8606 unless you do certain withdraws, make more non-deductible trad ira contribution, or more conversions.

For the most part TT is using the end of year FMV of IRAs to calculate how much a traditional IRA distribution is taxable and how much is a return of basis (non-deductible contributions). The basis does not come out first (that would be too good), but rather it is  $ out x (basis at beginning of year / FMV at beginning of year). So it uses the 12/31 value for that calculation. It also computes the new basis for the next year on the 8606 and uses that in the next year.

For more details see "who must file"

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8606.pdf
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
jtax
Level 10

Just want to be sure I understand.
in early 2016 you opened a traditional IRA and funded it with after-tax dollars
in early 2016 you converted that traditional IRA to a Roth IRA
in early 2017 you received a 2016 1099-R for the conversion amount, which you reported including a 8606 in 2016 [edited]

If so,

You need to include a 8606 for any year you make non-deductible traditional IRA contributions (to track your basis in Part I) or Roth conversions (Part II). If neither of those things happened in 2015 (or some other conditions (see below) that don't seem to apply), then you didn't need to file a 2015 8606.

The 2016 8606 should show the non-deductible trad ira contributions and should calculate the taxable amount of the conversion by factoring in those amounts.

If you used up all your traditional IRA basis in the conversion you probably won't have to fine an 8606 unless you do certain withdraws, make more non-deductible trad ira contribution, or more conversions.

For the most part TT is using the end of year FMV of IRAs to calculate how much a traditional IRA distribution is taxable and how much is a return of basis (non-deductible contributions). The basis does not come out first (that would be too good), but rather it is  $ out x (basis at beginning of year / FMV at beginning of year). So it uses the 12/31 value for that calculation. It also computes the new basis for the next year on the 8606 and uses that in the next year.

For more details see "who must file"

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8606.pdf
dmertz
Level 15

As I read the question, the contribution (or one of the contributions) made in early 2016 was for the 2015 tax year.  That means that the 2015 tax return should have included 2015 Form 8606 with lines 1 and 14 showing the amount of the nondeductible contribution made for 2015.  Line 14 of the 2015 From 8606 should then have carried forward to line 2 of the 2016 Form 8606 to be added to the contribution made for 2016 that should have appeared on line 1.
jtax
Level 10

Yes. That sounds correct. What is on your 2016 8606 line 1? Zero? What about line 2? Zero?

If zero then you paid included too much income for the conversion. Check your conversion year (2016) 8606 part III, line 16 to see if you missed the 2015 contribution basis). In that case I would suggest you amend your 2015 to include the 8606 and amend your 2016 to include the basis carryover (e.g. the right value for 8606 line 1).

But first make sure that gets you a refund for the amended 2016 return (more income does not always result in more tax, it depends amounts, AMT, capital gains vs ordinary income etc.) If not don't bother (assuming you converted all of the your trad ira's and therefore trad ira basis going forward isn't an issue).

It sounds like you understand what is going on here.
3carters

Thanks for the answer.  I got it figured out now with no additional tax ramifications.  Am filing an amended 2016 return with amended 8606, as well as the 8606 I failed to file for 2015.  That clears it all up and makes my 2017 taxes correct before I file those.
glovskys
Returning Member

last year (and several years prior to that) i both contributed the max to a TIRA and then backdoor Roth'ed it - all during Jan 1 - April 15 for the previous tax year.  On my 8606 from last year it shows basis of 5500.  my overarching goal is to not have ANY nondeductible monies in my accounts, so that its pure roth/after tax dollars only.  but my 8606 basis is 5500 on line 14.  Does this mean I am doing something wrong?
dmertz
Level 15

That is the correct result.  The basis from the 2017 nondeductible traditional IRA contribution must appear on line 14 of the 2017 Form 8606 to carry forward to line 2 of your 2018 Form 8606 to be applied in calculating the taxable amount of any traditional IRA distributions and Roth conversions that occurred in 2018.
glovskys
Returning Member

thank you.  my main concern is when i am retirement age, i don't want to get taxed when i take my roth money out so i am trying to keep ALL my retirement monies roth.  the TIRA contribution is a necessary evil so I can quickly convert it all to roth every year.  am i doing something wrong then in if that's my desired outcome?  should i not have a basis at all?  thanks, again
dmertz
Level 15

When you make your nondeductible TIRA contributions for the prior year, you'll always have basis to carry over from that prior year to the current year.  The year you are contributing for and the year in which you are consuming the basis with a Roth conversion are two different years.
Manage cookies