turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The distribution code H on my 1099R for a Roth 401k rollover, doesn't match the TT code H. 1099 says H=Direct rollover of designated Roth account distribution to Roth IRA

Distribution code G on my 1099 is described as "Direct rollover or a distribution to a qualified plan...or an IRA". However, in Turbo Tax; distribution code G = "Direct rollover and rollover contribution".  The consequence of this difference changes my Federal Tax Due amount by more that $65,000!!  I definitely rolled these funds directly from my 401k into a qualified plan and it is NOT a taxable event. Please HELP!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies

The distribution code H on my 1099R for a Roth 401k rollover, doesn't match the TT code H. 1099 says H=Direct rollover of designated Roth account distribution to Roth IRA

Code G & H are not the same.   Do not use a code G.

If your 1099-R has code H then use code H in TurboTax.    Code G is for a regular 401(k), NOT a 401(k) Roth.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

I'm confused, what code is on the Form 1099-R provided by the payer?
Is the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked?

You should be entering into TurboTax whatever codes and markings are shown in the Form 1099-R provided by the payer.

Right - use the code that is on the 1099-R - Do you think it is incorrect?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I got two 1099s - one for a traditional 401k directly rolling over into a qualified IRA and another for a Roth 401k directly rolling into a qualified Roth IRA.  Neither even should be taxable, but when i use code G in TT it increased my tax owed by more than $65,000 - - this simply cannot be right.
dmertz
Level 15

Does the code G Form 1099-R have a zero in box 2a?  Is it blank?
Is box 2b Taxable amount not determined marked?

Make sure that you selected code G in only one of TurboTax's box 7 drop-down boxes and left the other one blank.
Make sure that you did not inadvertently mark the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box on this form in TurboTax.

2a = $0 on both Roth and Traditional
dmertz
Level 15

I'm not aware of any way to make a Form 1099-R with code G in box 7 and a zero in box 2a cause a change in your refund or balance due.  Have you tried deleting and reentering the code G form 1099-R?

That does seem to make it "look right" but here is what shows on the back of my 1099:

G--Direct rollover of a distribution to a qualified plan, a section 403(b) plan, a governmental section 457(b) plan, or an IRA. H--Direct rollover of a designated
Roth account distribution to a Roth IRA

These descriptions seem accurate, but Turbo Tax has different definitions
dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax's text has the same meaning.

It's is just abbreviated due to space limitations.

Thanks to all - - but isn't it correct that NEITHER direct rollover should result in a taxable event?

Here’s a shot of Turbo Tax box 7 codes.  They might be worded differently but they are the same.

Thank you. That is what I see...I guess I am still confused by the fact that they don't ACT the same. They have a SIGNIFICANT difference in the amount of tax owed (which I'm still concerned about).

Neither one should change the tax owed at all.  Which one changes it?
Box 2b "taxable amount not determined" isn't checked is it?

You are not looking at the summary screen are you?  That will show the total *gross* amount of the box 1 amounts, not the taxable amount.   You must look at the 1040 form itself. line 16a for the gross amount and 16b for the taxable amount which should be zero (line 12a/b on a 1040A).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies