turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why do I have two sets of numbers in the boxes 18,19, and 20 on my W2?

In the box 20, one Locality name is New York, NY. The other is Yonkers, NY. I live in Yonkers and work in Brooklyn. Is it common that we have both of them in this box? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I don't think that it is common, but you will want to enter both sets into TurboTax.  Both local districts aren't able to tax you at the same time.  Here's why:  NYC only taxes the NYC resident working in NYC.  Since you are a Yonkers resident, you are not taxed in NYC.  Yonkers does tax you if you either live in or work in Yonkers.  So if you had both NYC and Yonkers tax withheld, you should get a full refund of what you paid in to NYC.  But you must add both sets of numbers in boxes 18-20 on two separate lines so that this can calculate.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I don't think that it is common, but you will want to enter both sets into TurboTax.  Both local districts aren't able to tax you at the same time.  Here's why:  NYC only taxes the NYC resident working in NYC.  Since you are a Yonkers resident, you are not taxed in NYC.  Yonkers does tax you if you either live in or work in Yonkers.  So if you had both NYC and Yonkers tax withheld, you should get a full refund of what you paid in to NYC.  But you must add both sets of numbers in boxes 18-20 on two separate lines so that this can calculate.

Thank you for explaining the detail. I will put both of them. Just one more question, Even though these 2 sets shows the same amount of wages in the box 18, they are not counted as "earned twice", are they? I'm worried that it looks like as if I earned twice because same number shows up 2 times...
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

No, it is not earned twice, but it is a good question.  You will enter one set of box 18-20 lines, with the NYC code, and then add the second set right beneath it.  The NY State return will add in all the box 19 entries, but will not add the box 18 entries into the NY return.

Thank you. Good to know it. I entered one set with NYC code, and the other one right beneath. Now I have questions as I continue, "Which Locality was New York, NY of $(box19) for?". I have to choose either New York or Yonkers. Same question comes next, "Which Locality was Yonkers, NY of $(box 19) for?" Shall I choose "New York" for the first question and "Yonkers" for the next question? Both in the box 20 say "RES" on W2.

I have 12 W2 forms from one employer one W2 has box 1 through 20 . The other 11 W2 forms only have box 18-20 filled out and all 12 W2 forms has 2 numbers in box 18 . I file on TurboTax what do I need to do with this with the 11 w2s that only have 18-20 and boxes 18 having two numbers on each different locality? 

Just enter 1 W2 and enter the extra boxes 18-20 on it. You can add more rows for 15-20. Did they run out of room on the first W2? That's common.

If the EIN is the same and you work in more than 1 state or city, sometimes they will give you another W2 with the extra state information on it and the top part the same or not filled in. If this is the case, enter 1 W-2 but include both state and local taxes on it. It will let you type in more than one line for boxes 15-20. Don’t add the boxes together.

Same for boxes 12 and 14 if there is no room on the first W2 they can give you another W2 with the extra boxes on it. So list them all on 1 W2. For box 12 just enter it in the next row or box. It doesn’t have to match the box 12 a-d etc.

I️ have only a second number in box 19 of my W2. I️ am trying to add it on TurboTax like you said, but it continuously tells me that I️ need to delete the duplicate. I️t is a different number, yet TurboTax won't let me add a second line for this amount.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Box 19 on a W-2 reports "Local Income Tax".

If you paid more than one local income tax, you should have more than one Locality Name.

So if you have two lines listed for Box 19, you should have two lines for Box 18 and Box 20 as well. 

Do you have additional lines for those boxes as well?

Did you pay local tax to two separate localities? 

Mine is the same locality.

Only additional lines are boxes 18, 19, and 20. 

Box 18 has the same amount on both lines,

Box 19 has a very small amount on the second line, 

Box 20 has the exact same locality name. 

Since it is the same locality name, can I️ just add the two amounts together for box 19?

Also, why would my income in box 18 be shown on both lines?

Thanks

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Yes, if it is the same locality, there is no reason that the amount paid should be split. Add the amounts in box 19 together and enter the total. 

Only enter one line for Boxes 18 and 20.

You might check your final pay stub or ask your payroll department if there is an error on your W-2. 

The amount for Box 18 is the income you earned while in that locality, so the amount would not change unless you moved from one locality to another, then your total yearly income (Box 1) might be split for Boxes 18. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies