Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State ID

I live in California.  I retired from self employed business in early 2018 and has been on social security since Feb of 2019.  I paid estimated tax for Federal and State in April, Sept and Dec of 2019 because we have few rental properties and some stocks and I know I will need to pay tax.  I am trying to do my 2019 income tax using Turbo tax.  During Federal tax review, it showed an error for me to fix.  On the tax payment worksheet which showed I paid estimate tax for State.  It stated that I need to fill in State ID number if an State payment was entered.  Could you tell me what is the Stat ID please?  I tried my SS number and my State account number which I had when I was working and had my own business but neither worked.  It showed "wrong character or too many character" Could someone tell me what should I put please?  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

State ID

I "suspect" it is actually looking for just "CA".

(If you are using the Desktop software)

1) Open your tax return and switch to Forms Mode.

2) Look for the Federal Tax Payments Worksheet and open that  (not the worksheet in the state section). 

3) Look at each of the state estimated payments you entered there to make sure that "CA" is entered for each of the state estimated payments.

4) If not that, there should be some other form in the left-hand window that has a red "!" on it.  Go check that form.  

If using the Online software, you may have to go back to the Federal interview to navigate back into the Estimated Tax Payments section again to review/correct each of your state entries.

If neither of those, then someone else may have an idea...or check with Customer Support:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

State ID

You are absolutely correct!!  Thank you very much.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies