turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jimmywag

The excess Social Security withholding which resulted from changing jobs during the year will show up on line 71 of your Form 1040. I did this but how do i get refunded?

The excess Social Security withholding which resulted from changing jobs during the year will show up on line 71 of your Form 1040.  To check to see if it is being properly reflected on your tax return do the following:

• Click on My Account 
  • From the drop down menu click on Tools 
  • Under Other helpful links... click on View Tax Summary
  • Click on Preview my 1040 which appears above the Tax Summary
  • Scroll down in Form 1040 to line 71

I have looked at line 71 and im owed 5k or so.  I got my refund back and it was only my normal stuff and did not include this.  Not sure where to go from here.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MichaelDC

The excess Social Security withholding which resulted from changing jobs during the year will show up on line 71 of your Form 1040. I did this but how do i get refunded?

Unless I misunderstand your situation, you don't need to take any action. When you look on Form 1040, line 71, do you see a dollar figure?

This excess behaves as a "tax credit" so to speak. What should happen is that all the line between 64 and 73 are added together to give you your total payments. These include your W-2 Federal withholding, certain refundable credits and line 71, excess Social Security taken from more than one employer.

Your refund on line 75 is the difference between your total tax (line 63) and your total payments (line 74).

This means, if you have any entry on line 71, your refund is THAT much more than it would be without excess Social Security.

I believe you understand, it's a different story when there is an excess from the same employer.

Again, pardon if there's a misunderstanding. If you have additional questions or comments regarding this, please feel free to post in the comments for further clarification.

jimmywag

So Line 71 has 5688.  If line 71 was at 0 would i of had to pay 5688 more?
MichaelDC

Unfortunately, that's correct. Hope this helps a little. Good luck
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies