turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dianesoza

What are the penalties if there is not enough money in my checking acct on Friday 4/7? I messed up, it won't be there until 4/11. Is it too late to fix?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What are the penalties if there is not enough money in my checking acct on Friday 4/7? I messed up, it won't be there until 4/11. Is it too late to fix?

Since there is not enough money in your checking account, then most likely your debit will be rejected. If that happens you can pay your Federal taxes owed by direct debit on the IRS website.
https://www.irs.gov/payments

You can also see if you can cancel the direct debit payment, it maybe to late but see the following.

You can cancel the transaction up to 48 hours before the date you designated the funds to be debited, call the IRS at 1 (888) 353-4537.
--------------
If you owe State taxes, you would need to check your States website to see if you can change the date, you can also pay state taxes on their website.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Since there is not enough money in your checking account, then most likely your debit will be rejected. If that happens you can pay your Federal taxes owed by direct debit on the IRS website.
https://www.irs.gov/payments

You can also see if you can cancel the direct debit payment, it maybe to late but see the following.

You can cancel the transaction up to 48 hours before the date you designated the funds to be debited, call the IRS at 1 (888) 353-4537.
--------------
If you owe State taxes, you would need to check your States website to see if you can change the date, you can also pay state taxes on their website.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies