turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file for my husband & I? He is too ill to file our joint taxes. His pension is our primary source of income. Any special considerations or requirements?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Can I file for my husband & I? He is too ill to file our joint taxes. His pension is our primary source of income. Any special considerations or requirements?

You are allowed to prepare the tax return, but both are required to sign, unless he is medically unfit to do so.  Comment if that's the case to see how you can sign in his behalf.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

He is in hospice care, unable to sign.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You can still file it.  The instructions below come from the IRS.  If you e-file, you will only need to sign the 8879 form per the same instructions.  You don't need to mail in the form or attach a statement, but would do so if the IRS asks for it.  Please note:

If you file a joint return, both spouses must sign the return. If your spouse cannot sign because of a medical condition and requests that you sign the return, sign your spouse's name in the proper place, followed by the word "by" then your signature, followed by the word "husband" or "wife." Be sure to also sign in the regular space provided for your signature. Attach a statement that includes the form number of the return you're filing, the tax year, the reason your spouse cannot sign the return, and that your spouse has agreed to your signing for him or her. If you're the guardian for your spouse who is mentally incompetent, you may sign the return for your spouse as "guardian."

My wife is in a recovery facility,after several hospital stays, for sepsis and a broken shoulder, affecting her dominant left arm and hand. She is making very slow progress, due to overall weakness since the broken shoulder that occurred while at the rehab facility. For these reasons my wife is is not able to sign the tax returns. The rehab facility is in a lock-down, at this time and will be in this state at least through April.

Thank you  for your assistance. 

Herb K

My wife is  in a recovery facility and is very weak and unable to sign any tax  forms at this time. New York State requires that any New York State Tax return, prepared by Turbo Tax or other program,must be sent electronically.  What procedure do I follow to meet the NYS requirements if I  can't  attach any forms or letter of my situation.  

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

@Hekeckjr2  I am so sorry to hear about your difficult situation.  For your tax return, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to e-file.  When you e-file, you do not need to send the signature pages to the IRS or the state of New York unless the agency asks you for them.  And you can sign both of them with the instructions I quote above from the IRS.  Just make sure you have a statement that describes your wife's condition at the time you sign the documents.  I hope this information is helpful to you, and wish your wife a speedy recovery.

When you e-File you are considered to have signed the tax return, that goes for both partners on a joint return. 

You're not expected to both place your finger on the ENTER key simultaneously.

Just e-File it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies