turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

thomas44

Should T-Tax recalulate my tax bill when going to lower tax bracket? IRA contribution put us in lower tax bracket and we do get full deduction (we checked).

In T-Tax, our new 'taxable income' is correct (and in lower bracket now) but the tax due is calculated using higher tax bracket. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Should T-Tax recalulate my tax bill when going to lower tax bracket? IRA contribution put us in lower tax bracket and we do get full deduction (we checked).

Oh, I should have said there could be other things like the SE tax and penalties being added in.  Glad you figured it out.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

How do you know it's using the wrong bracket?  Yes Turbo Tax recalculates it everytime you make an entry.  

If you have the Desktop program you can switch to the Forms Mode and open the Tax worksheet and see how it's calculated.  Probably on the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet.
thomas44

I compared the tax rate schedule for our taxable income($29498 owed) to what Turbo Tax calculated  ($31864).  So seems it used 28% tax rate, not 25%. BUT, thanks to your info ...  although I can't find that worksheet in the forms, I did see that on line 44 on 1040, tax is correct at $29498.  THEN, my self-employment tax got added to come up with the "total tax" ... that is why it looks like higher tax rate applied.   Thank you so much for your great advice!

Oh, I should have said there could be other things like the SE tax and penalties being added in.  Glad you figured it out.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies