turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Retirement Payout - I know they will take out 20% Federal Taxes as well as State taxes but is there a way I can pay the additional 10% IRS tax ahead of filing my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Retirement Payout - I know they will take out 20% Federal Taxes as well as State taxes but is there a way I can pay the additional 10% IRS tax ahead of filing my taxes?

Why is there another 10%?  Are you under 59 1/2 and taking a distribution?  You can send in an estimated payment on form 1040ES or pay the estimate directly here 

https://www.irs.gov/payments

Even though you have withholding taken out or pay an estimate it is not actually the tax.  You will still enter the whole gross original amount (before taxes were withheld) with your other income to figure out the total tax (and it may put you into a higher tax bracket) and then the withholding is subtracted from the total tax to figure your refund or tax due. The gross amount shows up,on 1040 line 4a and the taxable amount on 4b.  The withholding will show up on 1040 line 16.

If you have a 10% Penalty....It has to break out and show the 10% penalty separately on your return, (Schedule 4 line 59 which goes to 1040 line 14)

Then you get credit for all the withholding taken out on 1040 line 16.

dmertz
Level 15

20% is the minimum mandatory withholding on a distribution like a pension buyout paid to you that is eligible for rollover.  You can request that the payer withhold more.  If the forms for requesting the distribution do not allow for requesting more, you can submit Form W-4P to the payer to request additional federal withholding:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4p.pdf

If the distribution has already been made with only 20% withheld for federal taxes, you can make a federal estimated tax payment as suggested by VolvoGirl.  Similar things can be done with state withholding or estimated tax payments.

Are you going to roll it into another account like a IRA?  If you do then you need to replace the withholding with your own money or the withholding will become a taxable distribution itself.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies