Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ceg2110

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Why can’t I enter my 1099-R? And do I even have to if there were no taxes withheld?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

47 Replies
TomK100
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Why can’t I enter my 1099-R? And do I even have to if there were no taxes withheld?

You report any and all 1099-Rs that you get. It doesn't matter whether tax was withheld or not, you report them all.

You may need to enter your 1099-R manually if importing it doesn't work.

You'll get a 1099-R if you received $10 or more from a retirement plan. Here's how to enter your 1099-R in TurboTax:

1. Open (continue) return if you don't already have it open.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for 1099-R and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes on the Your 1099-R screen, then select Continue.
    • If you land on the Your 1099-R Entries screen instead, select Add Another 1099-R.
  4. Select how you want to enter your 1099-R (import or type it in yourself) and then follow the instructions. You can add up to 20 1099-Rs.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jefferymf
Returning Member

Cant add my wifes 1099R pension. Annuity from CSA Fed Gov. Message is still working on software. 1/20/2020 was listed completion date.

LindaB1993
Expert Alumni

You may enter the 1099-R by these steps:

After you sign in to Turbotax,

• Select Federal
  • Click on the Income Section
  • Scroll to Retirement Income
  • Select Form 1099-R
  • You should see "Tell Us Which 1009-R You Have"
  • Select "CSA-1099-R
Mau1
Returning Member

I have a question.  My mom gets a small federal retirement from the government and chose to not have federal taxes withheld b/c she only gets 5184.00 annually.  So I am helping her with her taxes and where turbo tax asked what the taxable amount was I left it blank.  Then for the question was the taxable annuity amount used as the taxable amount I put no since the form says unknown- first question is that correct?  Then I was asked which method she used to figure the taxable amount of the annuity (even though she didn't) - there are two choices simplified or general rule.  According to her circumstances and the definition on turbo tax she would be under simplified.  Is this the correct way to do this?  Would you recommend her just having the taxes taken out automatically by Opm?  thanks!

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

No, it is not correct to say that $0 is taxable just because the box is checked below saying the taxable amount it not determined.  More than likely the whole amount is taxable.

Yes, she would use the Simplified Method for her 1099-R.

Only if she owes taxes.  If this is her only income is from this pension she does not need to file a tax return because her income is less than the Standard Deduction of $13,500 for 2019.

you are not alone.  What is up with that, TT???

@slpt031265 wrote:

you are not alone.  What is up with that, TT???

What's up with what?   What problem are you having?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
KyGal

Same problem as others. It says the government is not ready for 1099R, should be ready by 1/20/2020. It is now March, I have updated my copy of Deluxe Turbo Tax. Surely Turbo Tax can correct this problem with entering 1099R by now. I have used TT for years and never had a problem like this.

@KyGal wrote:

Same problem as others. It says the government is not ready for 1099R, should be ready by 1/20/2020. It is now March, I have updated my copy of Deluxe Turbo Tax. Surely Turbo Tax can correct this problem with entering 1099R by now. I have used TT for years and never had a problem like this.

There is no problem filing 1099-R's.   If you are using the desktop software then you need to update or apply the manual update if using a Windows computer..

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/what-is-a-manual-update/01/26074

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Turbo tax will not accept 1099R income data. Waiting for IRS update due 1/20/2020. Has update been made?

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Follow the instructions to enter form 1099-R

1. Open (continue) return if you don't already have it open.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for 1099-R and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes on the Your 1099-R screen, then select Continue. ...
  4. Select how you want to enter your 1099-R (import or type it in yourself) and then follow the instructions

@Redhawk905 wrote:

Turbo tax will not accept 1099R income data. Waiting for IRS update due 1/20/2020. Has update been made?

What do you mean "won't  accept"?

I know of no problems with the 1099-R or any pending updates.

Are you using the online or desktop version?

Hello, 

I have a question about the need of upgrading to Turbo Tax Deluxe. I received a pension/ Florida State retirement money (3000 dollars) and my 1099 R form. Even though it was from Florida State I received it when I was a NC resident. I was asked some questions on my tax return, like the income allocations and included it in my NC window. I was charged some extra tax, as the estimated tax was not enough, and that was perfectly fine. At the end, when I wanted to move to another step, Turbo Tax prompted me to purchase a Turbo Tax Deluxe version, since I had the 1099 R form and apparently I was in need to have it to file these taxes properly. I got very confused, since firstly: tax was adjusted and deducted from my refund, secondly, all was checked and showed as correct. Since my FSR money was only 3000 dollars do I have to really purchase this Deluxe version, or do I fit in the below deductible amount bracket?

Thank you

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You do not need to upgrade to enter 1099-R forms.   But you may have something else on your return that is causing the upgrade request.   What kind of tax form is the FL retirement income (3K) on, is it on a 1099-R as well? 

Why do I have to upgrade from Free Edition?

What is the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies