turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2019seed

Which option do I choose regarding my husband's PERA. None of the 3 options apply.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Which option do I choose regarding my husband's PERA. None of the 3 options apply.

More information may help resolve your issue.  For example, is you question about your husband's contribution to PERA, or his retirement pay from PERA reported on a 1099-R?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
2019seed

I'm entering his 1099-R info.  Turbo tax question #1 is: Was this pension received from his employment as a public safety officer? Yes. He retired from law Enforcement in 2007. Question #2-did pension admin take money out for health ins. No. Question #3  A. Did he move money from one retirement account to another OR B. cash out? If I choose option A it gives me 3 options: Did he rollover money, convert money or combination? As I understand the definitions of each, none of those options apply. If I choose B: cash out money, that doesn't apply either. That money direct deposits into an account we use for bills.  What do I choose?

If it's asking what you did with the money.  It should have 2 choices.  If you didn't do the first one then just select the other one.  All it really wants to know is if you rolled it over or put it into another retirement account or even back to the same account.

If you get a monthly pension check then pick the other circle for I did something else with it.  You did get the cash each month.  That is "something else”.

You took distributions and got the cash.  Getting a monthly check is the same as cashing it out each month.  You got the money.

AND If you are 70 1/2 or older it will ask if you took the RMD.  Say yes for pensions.  Anything your pension pays you is considered to be the RMD.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies