turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sormat
Returning Member

When I try to enter 1099R it says IRS form not ready until 01/21/2020

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

30 Replies
DanaB27
Employee Tax Expert

Did you try the steps below to enter your Form 1099-R? Also, if you use the TurboTax Download/CD version please remember to update the program.

• Login to your TurboTax Account 
  • Click "Work on other tax breaks"
  • Click "Federal" from the left side of your screen
  • Click "Wages & Income" on the top
  • Scroll down and click "Start or Edit/Add" next to "IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R)
  • Answer "Yes" to the question "Did You Have Any of These Types of Income?"
  • Click "I'll Type it Myself"
  • Choose "Form 1099-R, Withdrawal of Money from 401(k) Retirement Plans, Pensions, IRAs, etc."
  • Click "Continue"
  • From here TurboTax will walk you through entering your Form 1099-R
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
amh011519

Yes, I followed every one of those steps. The message I am receiving says that "the IRS is still finishing up the Distributions from Pensions, IRAs, etc. That means this area isn't quite ready yet. We expect this form to be ready for you by 1/21/20."

But it's now 1/28/20 and I'm physically in possession of the 1099-R form. I just need to enter the data into TurboTax. The program is updated as of today.

@amh011519 wrote:

Yes, I followed every one of those steps. The message I am receiving says that "the IRS is still finishing up the Distributions from Pensions, IRAs, etc. That means this area isn't quite ready yet. We expect this form to be ready for you by 1/21/20."

But it's now 1/28/20 and I'm physically in possession of the 1099-R form. I just need to enter the data into TurboTax. The program is updated as of today.

I answered your other post with the exact same information as above.

What TurboTax program are you using?  The TurboTax online web based editions or the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions?  If the desktop editions, a Windows or Mac Operating system?  What tax year are you working on?

sormat
Returning Member

Late last nite it updated after many restarts of computer. Using windows 10 on a laptop, I believe this was a turbo tax problem. Have used them for many years but disappointed this year.

I am having the same problem.  I restarted my computer but I am still receiving the same problem.  I have used turbo tax for many years. After this years experience - IT WILL BE MY LAST

Jeff3629

I am having the same issue and cannot enter in 1099-R's.

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

First, I assume that you are using the CD/download software on with a Windows platform or a Mac platform.

The 1099-R has been available for months.

First, try going to Online (top left on Windows, I don't know about Mac) and clicking on Check for Updates.

If that does not solve the issue, try re-installing your software and then checking for updates (which should happen automatically anyway).

If that does not solve the issue, if you have the Windows version, then see this TurboTax FAQ.

If you have a Mac, come back and tell us.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the exact same issue.  Using the web version.  I tried again today, still same issue.  IRS hasn't provided TurboTax the information they need, apparently. 

SamS1
Expert Alumni

The 1099R entry screens are functional in TurboTax.  If you are trying to make an exclusion under the Cares Act, the 8915-E will not be ready until around 2/18.  But you should be able to continue through the 1099R screens if you answer "None apply" to the Uncommon Situations screens.

Here is a listing of Available Forms in TurboTax

lwbowen99

Does this mean you will need to reenter everything after 2/18?  So you are not penalized for the withdrawal?

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is exactly how I'm reading/understanding this, but hopefully an expert will confirm or correct me.  It just seems odd this stuff won't be prepared until a couple of weeks, yet tax day hasn't been pushed out, yet.

No ... you don't have to reenter the 1099-R but you will need to revisit the 1099-R section and complete all the interview screens again. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I thought.  I've got all my information in, minus the cares act stuff due to the IRS not having the form/information ready.  So everyone is in a holding pattern that withdrew from a 401k that qualifies for the waived penalty until the form is ready.  

Yep ... that is the fact.   Expected to be functional  sometime mid February which is the same time the IRS will start processing returns.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies