turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the "Maximum Deferral of Self-Employment Tax Payments" am I being asked to enter for line 18?

Not sure what to enter here
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

What is the "Maximum Deferral of Self-Employment Tax Payments" am I being asked to enter for line 18?

This question is associated with the option to defer paying some of your self-employment tax due to Covid.  

If you do not want to defer any of the self-employment tax, then enter '0' for line 18.  

If you do wish to defer paying the self-employment tax, then line 18 is asking for the portion of your Schedule C and/or Schedule F profit that is attributed to March 27, 2020 through December 31, 2020.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

I already paid the taxes in 2020 on the amount I made for self employment ($2000). I am not sure what "defer" means in this case.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I have already paid my federal and state taxes for the amount I received for self-employment. So should I go back and write 0? 

Yes, if you already paid your taxes, it doesn't make sense to use the option. You can put 0 in the line.   

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pierson, thank you!

I cannot find that form again in turbo tax to enter 0 (zero); I ended up entering $2000 which is the amount I made for self-employment. Do you know where it is? 

IRS has my payments, so, if they check, I guess they will find the payments no matter what so I guess it's ok if I have not entered 0 (zero)? 

IRS Deferral of Self Employment Taxes

Look at Section 21:   Self-employed individuals may defer the payment of 50 percent of the Social Security tax imposed under section 1401(a) of the Internal Revenue Code on net earnings from self-employment income for the period beginning on March 27, 2020 and ending December 31, 2020.

Helper4u
Returning Member

What if you are self-employed and did not work from March 20- December 20th? I received unemployment.  Do I do half of the 12.7% social security tax off of what I received in unemployment benefits?

JustMe8

Unfortunately, it seems that TurboTax does not let you go back and edit or review the field once you've entered it and hit next. I hit next and my amount owed dramatically reduced. Alarmed, I went back to edit the field and could not find a way to.

Every year there's something like this with TurboTax. I wish they had a section where you could go back and review these "reviews". Maybe there is and I just don't know.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@Helper4u You can't defer anything associated with your unemployment benefits, as they are not subject to self-employment tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

EH16
Returning Member

Hello,

***Edited and removing my issue since the following thread answered it.***

Basically, entering nothing on Line 18 worked for me. I was reporting a business loss and it wouldn't let me enter 0 (zero) as it said this was too large and it wouldn't let me enter a negative number.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement/discussion/in-my-sch-se-t-i-have-line-18-set-to-0-and-i...

I was using TurboTax Online Self-Employed.

Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies