turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What is the 1099-G? and what do I do if i have not received one?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

64 Replies

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What is the 1099-G? and what do I do if i have not received one?

While the most common use of a Form 1099-G is to report unemployment compensation, there are also several other types of government payments that can be reported on a Form 1099-G, including state and local tax refunds.  

See the following link for more information on this form What is a 1099-G Form?

Forms are not due until Jan. 31st so it is still possible that you will receive the form.  However, what steps you should take depend on what reason you are expecting a Form 1099-G.  If you received unemployment compensation, then you could likely find this information on your states labor department website.  

If you didn't have a state or local tax refund last year, then you may not receive a Form 1099-G at all.  If you did have a state refund, then you should also have this information in your tax or banking records from last year (it is just the refund amount that you received).  Also, you are only required to actually input this information into TurboTax if you itemized your deductions last year.  If you took the standard deduction, then your state or local tax refund will not be taxable income.

I did send off my papers and was told to add my 1099G form with my taxes by your company 

ejb28

I didn't get a 1099-G, but I did receive unemployment benefits last year. What do I do in this case?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

You can claim the amount as "Other Income" under wages & Income, but if you didn't get a 1099-G, check with your former employer. It is possible that you and/or your employer paid into a unemployment insurance policy. If that is what paid your unemployment, it would not be taxable. If it was paid by the state, it would be. For some states, you need to go to their website and print off your 1099-G, they no longer mail them. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Have not received the 1099g for the year of 2019,although I worked for the last months  of 2019,November and  December,2019

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

You will only receive a 1099-G if had received unemployment benefits. Also, if you itemized your deductions for last year and received a refund, then you should expect to receive a state 1099-G for the amount of the refund.

what if you collected pfl and got a state refund last year.  do i get two 1099g's or will it be grouped together?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, there will be two 1099G's issued because these are two separate taxable events.

I received unemployment benefits, but still have not received my 1099G form, if I even need one. Do I have to wait until I get the form or just file my taxes while stating I did receive benefits, but didn't get the form?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Please follow the instruction in the link below if you received unemployment compensation but you didn't receive the 1099-G form.

How do I report unemployment if I didn't get a 109 ...

Hello. I haven't been able to proceed with filing my taxes (in order to get stimulus money) nor file for unemployment, without a 1099 that I've never heard of/ been asked for, before.

Never received unemployment or any wages other than from my regular job.

I did receive a "grant" loan called a one shot deal for rent arrears however. I never thought a loan could be taxable income.

Nevertheless - I don't have it. How do I get it? How do I proceed?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

If you know what the source of your income is, you will need to contact the agency who paid you the income.  

A Form 1099-G is typically for payments issued for:

• Taxable grants
  • Unemployment income
  • Paid Family Leave Act income
  • State tax refunds

1099-G source

ktshamek

I was out on PFL in 2019 and never received a 1099-G.  I found the total amt I was paid on the EDD website, is this the only information I'd need from a 1099-G form?

Thanks in advance

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Under Wages & Income, look for the Unemployment subheading. The Online product mentions "Government benefits on Form 1099-G", but the download software may explicitly reference paid family leave.

Click on Start or Update (or Revisit or whatever the button says).

Since this section is for both unemployment and paid family leave, follow the screen instructions carefully showing that you had paid family leave.

Eventually, you will come to a screen that asks for the name, address, and other information about the EDD. The most difficult thing is to know the "Payer Federal Identification number" for the EDD. If you skip this, this may or may not catch you in the federal review. 

So you might go to the EDD website and see if you can download a copy of your 1099-G or otherwise call them and ask about the other fields - amount paid to you, any federal income tax withheld, and so on.

Note that the paid family leave will be taxed on the federal return, but is not taxable on the California return, since it was reported on the 1099-G.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies