turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What if my Form 1099-R doesn't have boxes 14, 15 and 16?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Some of the boxes on the Form 1099-R could be blank and the box numbers are not always aligned. To enter your 1099-R information correctly, read the box description on the form and enter your numbers into corresponding boxes in TurboTax.

Turbo Tax Home and Business 2020 is instructing the user to enter the State Distribution Amount in Box 16.  However, the actual Federal Form 1099R Box gives this information in Box 14.  In addition, Federal Form 1099R includes boxes 17 through 19.  However, TB does not provide fields for Box 18 and 19.   I believe TB needs to make corrections in the program in order for the taxpayer to report properly.

Yeah...the issuers were supposed to update their 1099-R forms to the new IRS-approved 2020 format and box numbering.   Last year's boxes 12,13,14....are now "supposed" to be 14,15,16.

Call whoever issued those 1099-R forms and complain...they won't get things fixed for next year unless they get folks calling in to complain.

Not also, that CSA- and CSF-1099-R forms do use 12,13,14....so make sure yours is not one of those forms from OPM...since they require a different interview start-up selection from the plain 1099-R.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@AnnMarie   "Federal form 1099-R"  ?

Do you mean a CSA- or CSF-1099-R from OPM?    if so, you didn't pick that exact type of form when you started thru the 1099-R interview...those do have different numbering from the standard 1099-R.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@AnnMarie 

.....either that or you desperately need to update your H&B software.....who knows what a Nov-Dec release had in their forms.  Turbotax.exe Version should be something like 2020.48.16.62 in your Components tab..

Thank you so much, Steam Train, for taking the time to give me this info.   I will call!  I've used Turbo Tax for years and Form 1099-R is the form Turbo Tax always used and is using now, not the others. And, the actual paper form is a 1099-R.  I never had a problem in the past with the box numbers but, as you said, if the form changed for 2020, then there is the problem.

Hi Steam Train - Again, thank you.  My software is up-to-date.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies