Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT is asking me to fill in a detailed explanation for Form 1116. What do I put there?

It brings up an Explanation Statement that says "Enter your explanation here to complete the required statement.  It must show the other deduction items for Line 3B column a." I don't know what other deductions this refers to, and I've never been asked to fill this in before.  The foreign tax is RIC from two mutual funds, one showing dividends and the other showing both dividends and capital gains on a 1099 DIV.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

TT is asking me to fill in a detailed explanation for Form 1116. What do I put there?

Yes, answer yes to the question that  All foreign taxes were reported with interest and dividend income only?  

@Donna3

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Enter the word "none" and see if this clears up your error.  let me know if this works.

Thanks @DaveF1006 I think that took care of it.  But I just want to make sure I answered the interview correctly.

I need to use the simplified method on form 1116 for AMT.  One of the questions it asks is: All foreign taxes were reported with interest and dividend income only?  I said yes, but my 1099-DIV indicates both capital gains and dividends for one of the foreign funds.  Is it correct to answer yes? TT only seems interested in Box 1a, ordinary dividends.

If I answer No, it takes me to a page asking about qualified dividends and long term capital gains.  Firstly, my form does not indicate LT cap gains, only cap gains in box 2a, so I don't know what the LT portion is.  Secondly I'd have to calculate it since only a portion of my mutual fund income is foreign source, and to try to figure it out would be a nightmare.  

Thanks for your help!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, answer yes to the question that  All foreign taxes were reported with interest and dividend income only?  

@Donna3

This worked for me.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies