turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ppp3
Level 2

This is regarding social security benefits and medicare Part B prem withheld. How do I complete the state of Wis Sch SB? Do I put medicare prem on line 6

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

This is regarding social security benefits and medicare Part B prem withheld. How do I complete the state of Wis Sch SB? Do I put medicare prem on line 6

Yes, on line 6 of the WI Schedule SB, you would enter amounts deducted for Medicare on your Social Security statement.  Here is an excerpt from the form instructions.

LINE 6:

You may be able to subtract all or a portion of the cost of your medical care insurance. “Medical care insurance” means a medical care insurance policy that covers you, your spouse, and dependents and provides surgical, medical, hospital, major medical, or other health service coverage (including dental insurance). If you are receiving social security benefits, the amount paid for medical care insurance includes the amount deducted from your monthly benefit for Medicare insurance (for example, Parts B and D)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ppp3
Level 2

Ok, it just seemed like double dipping since you have already subtracted the social security benefits on line 4 on the Schedule SB.  Thank you for your help

I just called the WI Department of Revenue because we had the same double dipping concern. While the rep's rational of "it is done this way to make it easy for seniors to complete their returns" seems odd, Turbo Tax is handling this correctly. 

I posed this issue with a former WI Dept. of Revenue employee and this was his response.

Although questionable tax policy, this treatment appears proper. I checked the instructions to the WI Schedule SB and there is no mention of an adjustment in either subtraction for Medicare premiums that are included in the portion of federally taxable Social Security (that is subsequently eliminated from WI income). The WDOR fact sheet on the medical insurance premium deduction doesn’t indicate any reductions or adjustments are necessary.

This outcome is probably due to sloppy drafting of the subtraction modifications. I have seen things like this in other parts of WI tax law. Unless the revenue loss is high, the state puts up with the issue for the sake for keeping its calculations and forms simple.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies