turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

j352m

I thought Rhode Island stopped taxing social security benefits if you make under $80,000.00.

The turbo tax for the state of Rhode Island I don't think is not deducting this tax break for retirees on the 1099 form from social security.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BMcCalpin
Level 13
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

I thought Rhode Island stopped taxing social security benefits if you make under $80,000.00.

That's not quite how the RI law is phrased:

"July 5, 2016: Rhode Island’s 2017 fiscal year budget, which took effect on July 1, 2016, includes a new tax exemption for qualified retirees.

The first $15,000 of retirement income will be exempt from state personal income tax for retirees who have reached full social security retirement age and have a gross income of $80,000 or less for single filers, or $100,000 in gross income for joint filers.

In the 2016 budget, the Rhode Island General Assembly passed a similar initiative that provided a tax exemption only for Social Security benefits. This year’s budget also includes an exemption for other types of retirement income, including public and private pensions."

Please see the State of Rhode Island website.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
BMcCalpin
Level 13
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

That's not quite how the RI law is phrased:

"July 5, 2016: Rhode Island’s 2017 fiscal year budget, which took effect on July 1, 2016, includes a new tax exemption for qualified retirees.

The first $15,000 of retirement income will be exempt from state personal income tax for retirees who have reached full social security retirement age and have a gross income of $80,000 or less for single filers, or $100,000 in gross income for joint filers.

In the 2016 budget, the Rhode Island General Assembly passed a similar initiative that provided a tax exemption only for Social Security benefits. This year’s budget also includes an exemption for other types of retirement income, including public and private pensions."

Please see the State of Rhode Island website.

cyndy114
Returning Member

Have these numbers 80,000 and 100,000 been adjusted for inflation since 2016 ?

cyndy114
Returning Member

According to Rhode Island division of taxation the numbers 80,000 and 100,000 for social security have been adjusted for inflation. For tax year 2019 they are now  86,300 and 106,300 for social security and 84,300 an 104,300 for pensions and annuity’s. DOES TURBO TAX KNOW THIS????

@cyndy114 wrote:

According to Rhode Island division of taxation the numbers 80,000 and 100,000 for social security have been adjusted for inflation. For tax year 2019 they are now  86,300 and 106,300 for social security and 84,300 an 104,300 for pensions and annuity’s. DOES TURBO TAX KNOW THIS????

The answer to this post was from 3 years ago.  The date on the message is the date the answer was transferred to this new forum.

The TurboTax state programs include ALL the current state tax codes for tax year 2019.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies