turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Roll over

Do i need to report a roll over in the federal filing even when it is non taxable?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Roll over

Yes, you have to enter the form 1099-R in your tax return even for a non taxable rollover.

The IRS has a copy of the 1099-R and may write to you if it is missing from your return.

When you enter your form 1099-R, fill out box 7 correctly and answer all questions in the TurboTax interview. TurboTax will exclude the rollover from taxation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Roll over

i rolled over 2018 rental write off and could not use it until cabin was rented, which happened thanksgiving and christmas, so the amount should have carried over I would think to this years turbo tax. i cant find it and need copy of 2018 taxes i did through turbo tax last year to verify amount? how can I get that form or copy of last years or why isnt frm ith amount carrying over?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Roll over

What do you mean you rolled over a rental write-off? You had expenses you could not take because you had not placed the rental in service yet? These expenses are not deductible. If you had a renovation, that would be added to the basis. If you showed a loss on Form 8582, that is where you would find the loss.

You would have needed to keep a paper copy or uploaded a pdf copy of your return to find this figure.

Roll over

thank you for correecting my words to get the exact form. yes it was listed as loss for all the investment vesus the short rental period.. I have copies of 15,16,17 but for some reason didnt copy 18. can turbo taxsend me this year knowing I paid for it?   My 2019 taxes are done except that form 8582  total form 2018....Thanks Colleen

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Roll over

If you filed in TurboTax Online last year, here's the original article on how to print 2018, or you can read below:

Before starting, make sure you're using the same TurboTax account (with the same username) as previous years.

You'll get access to your prior year returns through Your tax returns & documents in Tax Home.

@james clark

Roll over

im sorry but when I do that it asked for " upload" which of course clicking just sits there because Im not uploading anything... thanks... My taxes are done for 2019 and this is first year i have an airbnb to write off that form 8582 that i sent last year to keep records straight need badly... thanks

Roll over

you've been great and after everything I found my 2018 disk but could not find the investment property write off carry over to this year. what form would that be 8582?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Roll over

Yes, the carry over losses are shown on IRS Form 8582.

Roll over

THANKS!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies