turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

retirement assets

Our financial adviser back in 2007 placed my wife's retirement account in the wrong IRA. It was supposed to be a Roth but was made a Traditional. For a span of 6 to 7 years, we were funding that account with after-tax dollars from our checking account. Now we are going to be taxed on that money twice, going in and coming out. How can we fix that issue, or is it too late?

3 Replies
Employee Tax Expert

retirement assets

Hi kpritch413, 


Hope all is well with you! When did you realize that you were making Traditional IRA contributions instead of Roth IRA contributions? In those years that you made those Traditional IRA contributions (you could look back to prior year tax returns), did you take an IRA deduction on your taxes? I ask because if you did and did not qualify, you could have turn that non-deductible IRA contribution into basis on Form 8606, which would help lower taxes when you take the distribution. 



**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

retirement assets

A few years ago. I didn't take any deductions prior to that again, thinking it was a Roth IRA. Can I go back and amend tax returns from 15 years ago, or take current deductions on past events?

retirement assets

It is way too late to amend to take the deductions however you can amend to add the required forms 8606 (one for each tax year starting with the oldest year) to report the non deductible contribution that was made. Failure to file the needed 8606 forms will result in your paying taxes on the same money twice.  Be prepared to defend yourself when the IRS penalty letter shows up for the late filed 8606 forms so you can ask for a waiver. 

By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies