turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Returning Member

Pension payment conversion to simple IRA

Hi,

Can i convert part of my annual pension (1099-R) to a simple IRA.. this is addition to existing regular W2 income that does not qulify for IRA due to income threshold and existing 401K.  If possible, can i do this several 90 days after my last installment?  

thanks in advance,

GR

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

No.  You cant convert pension payments to a IRA.  Or ask the plan if you can convert some of your account.  But a conversion will not be the same as a new IRA contribution.  So you wouldn't get a Deduction for it.  

Returning Member

thanks for the reply.  Its strange that TurboTax is actually allowing me to enter this as a rollover in partial rollover section and adjusting the taxable amount.  By the way, i did forget to mention that i actually had taxes taken out of this pension installments.

@dmertz   thoughts, comments?

dmertz
Level 15

Nothing on the Form 1099-R indicates the type of qualified retirement plan from which the payments are received, so just based on the information on the Form 1099-R TurboTax cannot preclude you from reporting the distribution as having been rolled over.

Distributions received as a series of substantially equal periodic payments for life or for a period of 10 years or more are not eligible for rollover.  They are essentially RMDs.

Returning Member

thanks for the reply Dmertz.

So does this mean that distributions from Pensions are treated like distribution from an RMD IRA?  even though i'm not of RMD age?

in addition, does this mean in the future, that if i have these distributions converted immediately into a IRA that these would still NOT be eligible for rollover?

thanks again for you clarification and assistance.

GR

dmertz
Level 15

Once the pension begins making periodic pension distribution, the plan must continue making the periodic pension distributions and they are not eligible for rollover (no matter how a rollover might be done).  The requirement that the distributions be made and their unconditional ineligibility for rollover are the same as would be for an RMD from an IRA.  (Note, however, that the allowance by the IRS to repay a 2020 RMD and report it as a rollover did not extend to periodic pension payments.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies