Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

paddy832

1099r periodic paymentsquestion

If the retirement benefits are paid monthly, in equal amounts, which is it - equal payments or periodic?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

On the page "Any Periodic Payments?", this is what the questions refer to. Most pension plans are the first type.

Funds that you receive at regular intervals (weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually) over a predetermined period of time, for example, 15 years, or for life.

Equal periodic payments are annual withdrawals that you make from a pension plan or 401(k) plan. The amount you withdraw is calculated so that the funds last throughout your expected lifetime. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

On the page "Any Periodic Payments?", this is what the questions refer to. Most pension plans are the first type.

Funds that you receive at regular intervals (weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually) over a predetermined period of time, for example, 15 years, or for life.

Equal periodic payments are annual withdrawals that you make from a pension plan or 401(k) plan. The amount you withdraw is calculated so that the funds last throughout your expected lifetime. 

milljj

So is the amt for Equal Periodic Payments the same as gross distribution on the 1099R?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes.  Total for the equal and periodic payments will be the gross distribution on the 1099-R.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kvander22
Returning Member

My wife was the beneficiary (along with her two siblings) of a small annuity when her mother passed away in 2019 (at the age of 80).  She received a 1099-R showing the Gross Distribution.  It was a "total distribution" and not taxable. 

Any Periodic Payments.................The question asks:  Did "MY WIFE" receive payments from this retirement account on a regular basis such as monthly, quarterly or annually?

Since it was not my wife's retirement account, I'm not sure how to answer this.  I believe my mother-in-law was receiving an annual distribution. But "my wife", of course was not receiving anything.  Thank you for your assistance.

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Since this was a total distribution you will indicate that it was NOT a periodic payment.  TurboTax asks to see if regular payments will be made in the future.

@kvander22

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies