turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need advice to entering 1099-NEC in TurboTax Deluxe

Where do you enter a 1099-NEC?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

f you received a 1099-NEC, it is entered under Business Income and Expenses.   You will need to enter your business information which will create your business profile.  Once you have done that, you will find the entry under Business Income which will be within the Business Income and Expenses section.    It goes in the same area as the 1099-MISC and 1099-K.   

cman
Level 2

last year I got a 1099-Misc, which is now 1099-NEC.  TT Deluxe is giving me the option to enter a "MISC" but not "NEC".  this is one entry for my YouTube video and I do not want to purchase a TT Business.  The rest of my tax is simple.   Is there a place on forms view where I can enter the NEC?  Or is there another solution?

cman
Level 2

I found a solution.  switch to forms view and scroll down to 1099-NEC (just under 1099-MISC).

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

If you are using TurboTax Online, the reason you would not receive an option to input 1099-NEC in TurboTax Deluxe is that Form 1099-NEC is usually used for self-employment income, which the Deluxe Online version does not support.

You should have been able to enter it in the Step-by-Step process in CD/Download version of TurboTax Deluxe.  [The workaround, as you found out  is to go into Forms Mode.]

@cman

thisis2stupid
Returning Member

How doe I enter Block 1, Nonemployee compensation intersystem?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

There is a section in the federal screens to enter your 1099-NEC. You can either enter your nonemployee compensation so it flows to a Schedule C (self-employment income) or enter it so it flows to Other Income.  It is important to note that if it is considered Other Income, you will not be able to deduct any expenses that relate to your 1099-NEC income. 

For tax purposes, self-employment income includes any part-time businesses or "side work" performed in which you are in business for yourself, rather than another person. You are also considered self-employed if you engage in business-like activities where you intend to make a profit.

To enter your 1099-NEC, please follow the steps below: 

1. Open your return.
  2. Search for 1099-NEC with the magnifying glass tool at the top of the page.
  3. Click on the Jump to 1099-NEC link at the top of the search results. 
  4. Click Add a 1099-NEC.
  5. Enter the information as shown on your form. 
  6. On the page titled Guess what? You can deduct expenses for the example work choose Yes, I have expenses to deduct (if you would like it to flow to a Schedule C) or No, I don't have expenses related to this income (if you would like it to flow to Other Income. 
  7. If you choose to have this income flow to a Schedule C, you will see a page titled Self-employed 1099-NEC Income. You can select the Schedule C you are inputting this income for. If this is a new Schedule C for this year, you can add a new business on this screen.

@thisis2stupid

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cman
Level 2

thanks. by working on TT Deluxe, and by a reply, I found I could add my 1099-NEC by switching to forms view.  Aso, I was able to delete a 1099-MISC that was populated from my previous year's return also while in the forms view.  Then, also in forms view, I was able to add expensed directly onto Sch C.  This work around with TT Deluxe worked for me -- of course my tax situation is very small and simple.  for a more complex return it may be better to upgrade your Deluxe.   

cigarred
Returning Member

I was assigned fees for someone i act as a supervisor for and then paid him the money

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

If you were assigned fees and then paid someone else from those fees, you would issue that person a 1099-NEC. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies