turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Last year, I did not reach my max allowed amount for the 401K as I lost my job. Now I want to contribute to it. How can I add to my last year's 401K?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Last year, I did not reach my max allowed amount for the 401K as I lost my job. Now I want to contribute to it. How can I add to my last year's 401K?

Sorry, you can't. By law, a 401(k) is an employer-sponsored plan and only the employer can make contributions (including employee contributions via a salary reduction agreement.)   You may be able to contribute to a traditional or Roth IRA depending on your income, but those limits are lower, of course.    (If you had lower than expected income for 2019 due to a job loss, you might have more eligibility to contribute to a Roth IRA than you originally planned.  See here for the limits https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-ira-contribution-li...

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Sorry, you can't. By law, a 401(k) is an employer-sponsored plan and only the employer can make contributions (including employee contributions via a salary reduction agreement.)   You may be able to contribute to a traditional or Roth IRA depending on your income, but those limits are lower, of course.    (If you had lower than expected income for 2019 due to a job loss, you might have more eligibility to contribute to a Roth IRA than you originally planned.  See here for the limits https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-ira-contribution-li...

Unfortunately, yes. After a lot of searching, I found that only if you have self-employment income can you add to the previous year's 401K. Thanks,

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies