turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i get rid of error message on Payer Federal ID number on 1099 R since no number exists because its a Canadian pension payer ?

need US  Federal payer number for  1099 R pension distribution  but  pension is  paid  by  Canadian pension fund they only  issue Canadian T4as. In 2016  tax year used  99-9999999 but doesn't  work this year. Help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

How do i get rid of error message on Payer Federal ID number on 1099 R since no number exists because its a Canadian pension payer ?

just found  out  by  dumb luck that 99-0999999 works to eliminate  the  error in 2017 return

Thanks John-I prefer the 1099s for the info & the 0 did the trick for 2018. This should be the recommended answer for this type of question.
David0816

I ran into the same problem today, but involving a UK entity with no Federal ID number.  Strictly following the IRS recommendation would result in simply leaving Box 6 blank, but the Turbotax software will not allow that to happen.  Most frustrating.  However, I tried entering the number 99-0999999 as previously recommended on this thread and I am happy to report that it worked and the e-file went through.  While I am extremely grateful to the person who suggested this work-around, I find it unacceptable that this problem has been around for a number of years without being fixed by Turbotax.  So guys, hope you are reading these threads and sort this one out before next year rolls around.

David0816

Many thanks for your solution John - helped keep my blood pressure under control today.

The 99-0999999 gambit seems to work for 2021 returns reporting UK pension income.  The 99-9999999 that TurboTax suggests doesn't work and apparently hasn't worked for years.  

This 99-0999999 thing is one example I came across.  The other example was going round and round with some 1099-MISC income we had that TurboTax insisted must be a new line of self-employment business.  Eventually resolved by inaccurately characterizing it as a manufacturer's incentive.

2022 tax return with substitute  Swiss Social security 1099-R worked great. Thanks for the tip with 99-099999

I had the same problem I used 99-9999998 and that was accepted, at least on March 6 when i filed.

Hi, all who are interested in how to enter a Canadian pension plan (not Canadian Pension Plan, which is similar to SSA).

I e-filed my Turbotax 1040SR March 6 so I should have my refund back by now.  Well, it's not here and I got a CP05A notice from the IRS.  Fortunately I bought the Intuit Audit Defense, so I contacted them.  LONG story short, the IRS is apparently reviewing the private pension plan payment and withholding from a Canadian university that I reported on a 1099R.  The university is in Canada, the individual in question was a non-resident status citizen with US passport.  The university issued a NR4 (similar to T4 but for NonResident).  The IRS is reviewing, TaxAudit is communicating with the IRS for Intuit.  I can't get any answers and TaxAudit's EA says it could take up to 8 months for the IRS to review.  We've sent the NR4 to the IRS so I don't know what else I can do.  I"m FRUSTRATED and DISAPPOINTED with Turbotax not giving any guidance AT ALL.  Frustrated with the IRS for not being more transparent with the TaxAudit's EA.  I am MORE THAN WILLING to file the Canadian pension payments and withholding in the format the IRS is expecting, IF SOMEONE AT TURBOTAX WILL TELL US HOW TO DO IT.

I had no problem with my wife's CPP (Canadian Pension Plan) or OAS (Old Age Security).  CPP just adds to SSA in 1040SR, and she didn't qualify for OAS.  She also has a pension from York University.  That can't be added to SSA.  She received a NR4 (NonResident equivalent to a Canadian T4 for a corporate/private pension plan).  Turbotax doesn't have a provision for this common type of Pension, nor do they have a word of guidance.  That's what has my fur rubbed the wrong way. 

Anything that doesn't have a place can be entered as OTHER taxable income reported on line 8 of the Sch 1 ... 

• Down the left side of the screen, click Federal.
  • In the center of the screen, click Income & expenses.
  • On the screen Your income and expenses, scroll all the way down to the last section, Less Common Income.
  • Click the Start or Update button for the last topic, Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C.
  • On the next screen, Let's Work on Any Miscellaneous Income, scroll down and click the Start or Update button for the last topic, Other reportable income.
  • The next screen asks, Did you receive any other taxable income. Click Yes.
  • On the next screen, Other Taxable Income, enter a description and the amount. Click Continue.
  • On the next screen click Done.

The income will be reported on Schedule 1 line 8 with the description that you entered. 

I did a 1099R because it has fields for all the data PLUS a field for taxes withheld.  I still think TURBOTAX should do a better service if they would provide guidance for PRIVATE Canadian pension plans (not CPP).  There are literally 10's of thousand Canadians that have retired to the states that recieve pensions from their previous employers, and many of those use Turbotax.  

If there were federal taxes withheld and it was not reported on a 1099-R with the proper EIN  then you can put all of it on the return however you will have to mail in the return with the canadian form issued showing the with holding attached to the return.  Not doing this will indeed delay the processing while the IRS confirms the info on that form.  

York University doesn't have an EIN (9digits) and they don't have plans to apply for one.  They have the equivalent "Payer or Agent Identification Number" (10 digits).  I have furnished the NR4 to the IRS with the Gross Income and Non-Resident Tax Withheld.

Bottom Line: TurboTax should provide better guidance than to leave it up to comments in the TurboTax Community as to how to include the private pension gross income and tax withheld, IMHO. 

I appreciate your input though.  Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies