turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

swcosner

Is anyone having problems with entering Form CSA 1099R and constantly getting "Needs Review"?

I cannot determine why it "needs review".
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Is anyone having problems with entering Form CSA 1099R and constantly getting "Needs Review"?

Yeah...but I'm using the Desktop software and not the Online software.

IF the Online software is working the same way as the Desktop software, there is a "Verification" box that needs to be checked for the state section for that CSA-1099-R.   That verification checkbox is supposed to show up during the main entry, but on mine, I don't get it until I run thru the Federal Review, &  Error checks.

During the error check, the "error" shows some state entry boxes and numbers that you need to check the box for   , and once that is done, you'll be good to go.

Now...be careful when you do that.  look at the "description" for each box to match to your actual CSA-1099-R.  Ignore the box numbers that show (they may be #'d wrong...but the data is what is important) . 

AND...if the state distribution amount is empty on your actual CSA-1099-R, the software may have backfilled that box (in the software) with the value of either box 1, or box 2a....or the calculated taxable portion of box 1 if you had some after-tax contributions to that CSA retirement. 

@swcosner 

Please answer this question for me though...does your actual PAPER CSA-1099-R show the state information in boxes 12, 13, 14?  or in boxes 14,15, 16? 

(this is more for my helping others, because the normal, straight 1099-R forms changed their state box numbers for 2020, and I haven't found out if the CSA-1099-R forms also changed box #s, and I haven't seen a real one for 2020 yet)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
swcosner

Thank you. I ran Federal review and didn’t get the error check options. ?  Still says “needs review”, but allows me to proceed to final stages of filing. State information is in box 12 & 13.  My form does not have box 14, 15, 16.

@swcosner 

Thanks.....IF you haven't done so already, don't  go thru the filing steps yet now....don't "Transmit"

The IRS isn't going to touch anything until ~12 Feb.  IF you do file now it's locked in, and you can't change it until the IRS actually takes it in...and "Accepts" or "Rejects" what you've file.

IF you get a 1099-INT or -DIV or-B in the meantime, and you've already submitted ..you're scr@ewed .  You can't change what you've filed already.  IF they Reject it...then you can edit in any changes.....but if the IRS "Accepts" it, you'll have to go thru the special Amend process to make changes. 

Thousands of people file ASAP every year, and mightily reject doing so...every EVERY year !

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies