turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KB713

IRA contribution and deductibility

Preparing 2020 tax return.  Considering making an IRA contribution to tax year 2020 in 2021.  Married filing jointly.  I am covered by a retirement plan by my employer.  Spouse is not covered by employer plan.

Does the contribution to an IRA have to be solely in my spouse's name to maximize deductibility?

Can the contribution be made to my existing IRA or would it be best to open a new account under her name?

Confused on if the names matter or not since one of us is covered by employer sponsored retirement plan and one of us is not.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Yes, you can contribute to a traditional and/or Roth IRA even if you participate in an employer-sponsored retirement plan (including a SEP or SIMPLE IRA plan).  Just make sure your contribution is in the allowable limits.  

KB713

So it does not matter whose name the IRA account is held in - spouse with and employer plan or spouse with out?

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

You are limited to how much you can contribute to your own IRA, so to maximize your joint contribution, you need to contribute the funds to separate IRA accounts.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies