turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i contributed to my ira and my spouse is covered at work do i need to withdraw that money? I thought I did but the software is not asking me to do that.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

If i contributed to my ira and my spouse is covered at work do i need to withdraw that money? I thought I did but the software is not asking me to do that.

You won't pay taxes on the nondeductible contribution later as long as you properly track your basis in nondeductible traditional IRA contributions.  Your basis is tracked on Form 8606.  When you take a distribution, your basis is applied proportionately on Form 8606, reducing the taxable amount of the distribution.  You'll always have some basis until you have a zero balance in traditional IRAs.

If you have not yet filed your tax return and did not request a filing extension by April 18, 2022, the deadline for obtaining a return of this contribution before the due date of your 2021 tax return has passed.  Otherwise, if you choose not to have to track basis in traditional IRA contributions and you want to obtain a return of the contribution before the extended due date of October 17, 2022 as I mentioned previously, the contribution will be treated as never having been made.  In 2021 TurboTax you'll omit the contribution, then enter a code P (along with code 1 if you are under age 59½) 2022 Form 1099-R with the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked.  When asked, be sure to indicate that it's a 2022 Form 1099-R .  Box 1 will show the gross amount of the distribution (amount returned adjusted for gain or loss) and box 2 will show the investment gains or zero if there was no gain or there was a loss.  This will cause TurboTax to prompt you to enter an explanation of the return of contribution where you'll indicate the amounts and dates of the amount contributed, the amount returned, and the adjusted amount distributed.

Decline having any taxes withheld from the return of contribution.

(If you've already filed your tax return, you'll need to prepare an amendment (Form 1040-X) and at the top write "Filed pursuant to section 301.9100-2."  You'll need to file Form 1040-X along with a manually prepared Form 8606 showing that your nondeductible traditional IRA contribution was zero instead of what was reported on the Form 8606 originally filed with your tax return.  TurboTax will not prepare the necessary corrected Form 8606.)

View solution in original post

6 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

No, you don't need to withdraw that money.  Your spouse being covered by a workplace retirement plan might make your traditional IRA contribution a nondeductible contribution, but it doesn't make it an excess contribution.  You may still choose to obtain a return of the contribution by October 17, 2022 as long as you filed your 2021 tax return or requested a filing extension by April 18, 2022, but you don't have to.

Also....check the tables of MFJ for a full deduction of your contribution. Your MFJ modified AGI may be  lower than the cutoff for deducting the IRA contribution. There is one box specifically for the situation where spouse is covered at work.  (of course, if you haven't entered all your 2021 income yet...that could change)

2021 IRA Deduction Limits - Effect of Modified AGI on Deduction if You Are NOT Covered by a Retireme...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thanks, that is helpful.  if I withdraw that money from my ira, do I need to adjust the amount I am reporting as 0?  I am not getting any deduction for it since my agi is too high and I don't want to pay taxes on it later. 

dmertz
Level 15

You won't pay taxes on the nondeductible contribution later as long as you properly track your basis in nondeductible traditional IRA contributions.  Your basis is tracked on Form 8606.  When you take a distribution, your basis is applied proportionately on Form 8606, reducing the taxable amount of the distribution.  You'll always have some basis until you have a zero balance in traditional IRAs.

If you have not yet filed your tax return and did not request a filing extension by April 18, 2022, the deadline for obtaining a return of this contribution before the due date of your 2021 tax return has passed.  Otherwise, if you choose not to have to track basis in traditional IRA contributions and you want to obtain a return of the contribution before the extended due date of October 17, 2022 as I mentioned previously, the contribution will be treated as never having been made.  In 2021 TurboTax you'll omit the contribution, then enter a code P (along with code 1 if you are under age 59½) 2022 Form 1099-R with the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked.  When asked, be sure to indicate that it's a 2022 Form 1099-R .  Box 1 will show the gross amount of the distribution (amount returned adjusted for gain or loss) and box 2 will show the investment gains or zero if there was no gain or there was a loss.  This will cause TurboTax to prompt you to enter an explanation of the return of contribution where you'll indicate the amounts and dates of the amount contributed, the amount returned, and the adjusted amount distributed.

Decline having any taxes withheld from the return of contribution.

(If you've already filed your tax return, you'll need to prepare an amendment (Form 1040-X) and at the top write "Filed pursuant to section 301.9100-2."  You'll need to file Form 1040-X along with a manually prepared Form 8606 showing that your nondeductible traditional IRA contribution was zero instead of what was reported on the Form 8606 originally filed with your tax return.  TurboTax will not prepare the necessary corrected Form 8606.)

I am about to file my taxes finally and getting back to this....    I don't really want to deal with tracking all this - If I withdraw all the $$ I contributed in 2021 from my IRA by Oct 17th, how I can report this in TT?  The software is not asking me to do that. 

tell the custodian you want to reverse your contributions.

Be sure you get from them the correct form.

Then in TurboTax go back to those sections and change your contribution amounts to zero.

@euge250615 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies