turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

petro206

I received a 1099-R due to my 401k loans being paid off while I was laid off from the company. What options do I have?

Laid off due to Covid.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I received a 1099-R due to my 401k loans being paid off while I was laid off from the company. What options do I have?

The loans were not "paid off" ... technically you defaulted on them so the unpaid distribution is taxable ... on the 1099-R you will see a code 1 in box 7 and unless you can put in the early distribution amount back into the 401K or an IRA by the filing deadline of the tax return there is no way to avoid the taxes or the penalty if you are under the age of 59.5. 

dmertz
Level 15

What is the code in box 7 of the Form 1099-R?  If code M is present, this was an offset distribution paying off the loan, not a default.

If code M is present in box 7 of a 2021 Form 1099-R and you filed your tax return or requested a filing extension by April 18, 2022, you have until October 17, 2022 to come up with the money and roll it over to a qualified retirement account like an IRA.  Taxes will continue to be deferred on any portion of the taxable amount shown in box 2a that is rolled over and the rest of the taxable amount will be taxable on your 2021 tax return.  When rolling over a portion of an offset distribution more than 60 days after the date of the distribution, you must tell the receiving custodian that it's a rollover of an offset distribution.

If code M is not present in box 7, it's too late to roll over a 2021 distribution and you are stuck with the tax and penalty assessed on your tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies