Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a 1099-G for a grant I received from the State box 6 is filled out Taxable Grant. In the 1099-G federal income section there's nowhere to enter this.

The only box filled out is box 6 - Taxable grant with the total of the grant amount. In turbo tax federal income, for 1099-G it only will let you enter 1
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

I received a 1099-G for a grant I received from the State box 6 is filled out Taxable Grant. In the 1099-G federal income section there's nowhere to enter this.

Your post was cut off, but it appears you are asking about entering a 1099-G for a taxable grant. 

In the "Income & Expenses" tab

Scroll to "Other Common Income"

Show more

Start/revisit "Other 1099-G"

There you find the options to enter a taxable grant 1099-G and all the box options will be provided.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

12 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Your post was cut off, but it appears you are asking about entering a 1099-G for a taxable grant. 

In the "Income & Expenses" tab

Scroll to "Other Common Income"

Show more

Start/revisit "Other 1099-G"

There you find the options to enter a taxable grant 1099-G and all the box options will be provided.

Thank you! Led me right there - appreciate it!

I received a 1099-G for a grant awarded to my business. It was a Louisiana MSRP grant. The program has no option to add a 1099-G to a business. How do I add this?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

This answer assumes that you are talking about a sole proprietorship, not a corporation or a partnership.

Go to your Business tab and locate the Business Income section. Then choose General Income. Yes, I know the screen says that you don't do this for income reported on a 1099-G, but there doesn't appear to be a way to tie a 1099-G under Other Income to your business. 

Since you are reporting the income, this won't be a problem for the IRS (or you).

@brussell889

jessly314

Hi! My partnership received a 1099-G grant from our local government. Where do I report the taxable grant amount box 6 in Turbo Tax? Do I have to pay self employment tax for it?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@jessly314 Enter your 1099-G Grant Income under Business Income.

Type 'schedule c' in the Search area, then click on 'Jump to schedule c'.

Choose 'General Income'.

Yes, this income is added to your other Business Income when calculating your Self-Employment Tax.

For 2020, you can defer Self Employment Tax under the CARES Act.

TurboTax will ask about this as you go through the Self Employment questions. 

Click this link for more info on Self Employed Tax Relief

jessly314

Thank you for the response!

My partnership files a 1065 and the 1099-G was issued under my business's tax id. Do I file that under Schedule K Box 11 - Other income ? 

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

If you enter the 1099-G income using the TurboTax interview as All Other Income it will be reported on Line 1 of Form K1(1065).

Where would it be reported on a K-1?

Thank you

Where do I report the State Grant income reported on 1099-G  for COVID Relief

If you are referring to a 1099-G written to your name and not a business of yours, go to

1. income and expenses
  2. other common income
  3. other 1099 G income
  4. select yes that you received a 1099G
  5. fill out your personal info
  6. select taxable grant
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies