Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I gave 100% of my minimum distribution to a qualified charity. How do I enter this to zero out the number on line 1B?

My question was not answered.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I gave 100% of my minimum distribution to a qualified charity. How do I enter this to zero out the number on line 1B?

When you report your 1099-R line 2b will show the taxable amount. Don’t change it. On the next screen you’ll be asked if any was given to charity. Enter the amount there and you won’t be taxed on the distribution. 

Here are the IRS rules for a Qualified Charitable Distribution: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/qualified-charitable-distributions-allow-eligible-ira-owners-up-to-1000...

Note that the distribution must be made directly to the charitable organization rather than distributed to the owner and then transferred to the charity. 

See the Online screen shots that employee MarilynG1 posted
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/re-qcd/01/3186042#M732644

To qualify as a QCD, the distribution must have taken place DIRECTLY from the account trustee to the charity.  It's ok for them to send you a check made out to the Charity that you then mail to the Charity.   Withdrawing funds and then making your own contribution to a charity DOES NOT qualify as a QCD. If that was done, then you have a potentially taxable distribution and a potentially deductible charitable contribution.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies